[Vision2020] Uncommon reading

bear at moscow.com bear at moscow.com
Fri May 22 11:09:28 PDT 2009

TYPICAL! we cut academic programs, but God forbid that we cut wasteful
athletics! Bubba can PLAY football, he just can't spell it! Is there
something wrong with our local universities turning out  Nobel winners
rather than second rate athletes?

The purpose of the universities, ESPECIALLY the land grant universities,
of which both U of I and WSU are, is to EDUCATE not turn out such fine
examples of professional athletics as Ryan Leaf!  [Ryan David Leaf is a
former American football quarterback who played for the San Diego
Chargers, Tampa Bay Buccaneers and Dallas Cowboys between 1998 and 2001.
His brother Brady was a quarterback for the University of Oregon Ducks.
Leaf had a successful college career at Washington State University, where
he was a finalist for the Heisman Trophy in his junior year. He was
selected as the second overall pick in the 1998 NFL Draft after Peyton
Manning of the University of Tennessee, and many scouts predicted he would
actually be a better pro than Manning. However, his time as a professional
lasted only four years, and was marked by injuries, poor relations with
teammates and the media, and poor performance. He is widely regarded as
one of the biggest busts in NFL and professional sports history.]

Before ANY academic programs are cut from a real university, the semi-pro
athletics need to be done away with.

Comments?