[Vision2020] Big Army Comes to Moscow

Tom Hansen thansen at moscow.com
Fri May 22 09:29:30 PDT 2009

Courtesy of today's (May 22, 2009) Moscow-Pullman Daily News and the
INKster, Vera White.

---------------------------------------

INK: Dog from Iraq finds new home in Moscow

The INKster would like to be the first to officially welcome Big Army to
Moscow. With the help of owner Diamond Western, the canine has transferred
his citizenship from Iraq to the United States and is being cared for by a
friend who is looking after Diamond's home.

Big Army has quite a tale (tail?) to share, but first a bit about his
master. The INKster first met Diamond years ago when he worked at Moscow
High School. He ran unsuccessfully for a seat in the Idaho House, and then
worked overseas for the last dozen years, primarily in Antarctica. But he
maintained his home on Asbury Street, where he plans to retire.

When the INKster heard about Big Army from one of Diamond's friends, she
contacted him immediately. He quickly responded and first brought her up
to date on his employment status, working as a quality control/safety
manager for a company that has the operations and maintenance for Ibn Sina
Hospital in the Green Zone in Baghdad. The company is getting ready to
turn the hospital back to the Iraqis. He accepted an offer to work at a
new clinic "out of town" and plans to be home in December.

Diamond discovered Big Army in a dirty industrial area full of mud holes
and fences while he was "out to check out the situation." That was in
December.

"As I was returning to my vehicle, I noticed a scrawny little pup grazing
out in an open field," he wrote. "As usual when I would see a woebegone
dog there, and there are many, I whistled for it."

Generally these strays would turn a suspicious eye, and then run away in a
different direction.

"This little fellow didn't follow the game plan," Diamond continued.
"Instead, he came over to me and laid his head against my leg. I was
smitten."

Diamond didn't take him that day, but admitted he thought about the dog
all night, returning the next day to see if he was there. He was.

Private security guards from many countries guard the gates, and Diamond
approached one from Uganda and told him he would like to have the dog and
would pay for him.

"He shook his head 'no,' then pointed to a guardhouse and said 'Big Army,
Big Army,' " Diamond continued. "Hence the name."

After clearance from the guardhouse soldiers that it was OK to take the
dog, they returned to the compound where Big Army became the official
"Force Protection Pup."

It didn't take Diamond long to realize he would not be able to leave the
dog behind when he left Iraq, so he began exploring ways to get him
stateside. To that end, he began contacting agencies such as SPCA
International and their organization, Operation Baghdad Pups. Also
assisting was a local Iraqi veterinarian who made sure Big Army had all
the necessary vaccinations to travel abroad.

Neither Diamond nor the vet was sure of Big Army's breed, but their best
guess was some sort of shepherd mix.

By now, readers know from the amount of space she's devoted that the
INKster also was smitten with Big Army. His story is interesting
certainly, but when she looked at the photograph, he was the spitting
image of the INKster's beloved Cookie.

Now we're both eager to meet Big Army in person. Cookie has been told to
behave when that happens. She's far too old for Big Army!

------

Big Army
http://www.dnews.com/images/3565128.jpg

Thanks, Vera.