[Vision2020] And From Moscow We Have . . .

Ted Moffett starbliss at gmail.com
Fri May 22 01:07:29 PDT 2009

A police officer must make their own subjective determination as to whether
or not a drug dog has "alerted" to a potential smell.  It's not as though a
dog can sign an affidavit?  I've known dogs to display the behavior you
describe, for reasons I could not exactly determine!  If human eye witness
testimony is so susceptible to error, as is well documented, are we to trust
dog "testimony" as more reliable?  Oddly, it just might, in special
cases, be more reliable!  But a law enforcement officer who was less then
thoroughly ethical could easily claim a drug dog "alerted," to justify a
search, when it did not actually alert, correct?  And could the dog testify
to this lie?  No.  Using dog "testimony" in a court case presents certain
legal problems.  Must the dog be present in court so the accused can face
those who accused them?  Ridiculous, of course.  But given a drug dog as the
primary source of the evidence that a crime is being committed, thus a
search that violates the Fourth Amendment is justified, seems questionable
by definition, given a dog cannot testify in court.
No doubt legal scholars have found a way around this objection.

Ted Moffett