[Vision2020] Google & Vision2020/Prevailing Winds/Cleaning House/Right-Mind.US Posts

Ted Moffett starbliss at gmail.com
Sun May 10 15:54:44 PDT 2009

Out of curiosity, after looking for "Douglas Stambler" on Google, I just
entered my name, "Ted Moffett," into Google search.  In the past I have been
surprised by what I found doing this.  Of course this is not my full name,
so I would expect to find numerous hits referring to other people with the
name "Ted Moffett," of which there are many in the US.

The first hit, why I don't know, was a Moscow Vision2020 post that contained
the little OP-ED I wrote for the Moscow/Pullman Daily News in February,
2007, correcting misconceptions and errors presented by New St. Andrews
librarian Ed Iverson's OP-ED on global warming, that was also featured in
the Daily News:

http://mailman.fsr.com/pipermail/vision2020/2007-February/041709.html
-------------
The fifth hit down the first page was a link to content from just last month
on Keely Emerine Mix's blog, regarding the post about "The 'Global Warming'
On My Deck" comment from a certain local religious figure, which contains a
few comments I wrote in response:

http://keely-prevailingwinds.blogspot.com/2009/04/global-warming-on-my-deck.html
------------
The seventh and eighth hits also reference Moscow Vision2020 posts, from an
exchange with John Harrell and others on Vision2020 in 2002, regarding
nudity, women, and so forth... This must have been around the time of
Moscow's famous "topless car wash" and the push for the Moscow City nudity
ordinance.  I am a bit shocked at some of the content I wrote... Not that I
now disagree with what I wrote, for the most part, but how "confrontational"
my wording was:

http://vision2020.moscow.com/Archives/2002/0209/msg00519.html

http://vision2020.moscow.com/Archives/2002/0209/msg00496.html

------------
The first hit on the second page, again refers to a Moscow Vision2020 post
from 2004, on "What is relative moralism?:"

http://mailman.fsr.com/pipermail/vision2020/2004-January/007040.html

------------
The sixth hit on the second page refers to Rose Huskey's blog "Cleaning
House" from 2004, where the comment I wrote about auroras, "I jump up and
down and point and yell when I see auroras . . . some people just never grow
up!" appears on the Google search page... Yikes!

http://cleaning-house.org/?m=200408

-------------
And the last hit on the second page, refers to a right-mind.us post from
Dale Courtney, referencing a Vision2020 post I wrote from February 2008,
misrepresenting what I wrote.

My post in no way made the statement that, as Courtney wrote, "God cannot be
an omniscient, omnipotent, and benevolent because of the coming Hawkins
Mall."  In fact I wrote "If God is an omnipotent, all knowing and all good
being, God does not have a
problem.  Only limited beings that lack the capability to comprehend such
infinite capacities have a "problem."  I was implying in this post that we
should focus on solving the problems humanity is creating on Earth, rather
than debating why evil exists in a world created by a perfect God

I did not claim to have "solved the vexing problem of theodicy" as Courtney
wrote.  I stated it is difficult to say anything new about the problem.  To
flesh out my meaning a bit, I will explain:

*I implied that given the definition of God as a* "*omnipotent, all knowing
and all good being" that such a being cannot have a problem, by definition.
This assumption about God's nature is exactly what creates the problem of
"evil."  If God had limitations, the problem of evil would not be so
vexing.  I suggested it is because of human limitations that prevent us from
understanding a being of unlimited knowledge and power that the problem of
evil is so troubling.  Thus for humans to solve the problem of evil, we
would need much more knowledge and/or power than we have now.*
**
I should clarify that I am an agnostic regarding belief in a supreme being
or creator of the universe, so my comments are offered in the context of how
the discussion regarding the problem of God and evil is framed:
**
http://right-mind.us/blogs/blog_0/archive/2008/02.aspx?PageIndex=2