[Vision2020] news from the legislature

Shirley Ringo ringoshirl at moscow.com
Tue May 5 14:28:46 PDT 2009

May 5, 2009

Greetings from the Legislature!

Regarding business left to consider, this legislative session nears its end.  The number of days remaining in the session is not clear.  This session has been a study of political styles of key leaders.  In the waning days, ego wins over common sense.

During and after my campaign, I have supported a modest increase in the fuel tax.  This has not been adjusted since 1996, and the level of the tax currently brings insufficient revenue for road maintenance.   Just as we work to maintain our homes and vehicles to protect our investment, we should protect our investment in infrastructure.

During the time between the 2008 and 2009 legislative sessions, our Governor has made it clear - funding for maintenance of roads was a top priority.  He is to be commended for going around the state to solicit opinions on the matter.  His ability to get results is a gauge of his leadership.  From the Governor's point of view, a successful outcome on the first bill was critical.  The first transportation funding bill was not heard on the House floor until March 19. The bill was designed to increase the fuel tax by seven cents per gallon over three years.  There were 27 votes in favor, and 46 votes against.  Only twenty-four of the fifty-two Republicans in the House supported the Governor that day.  There were at least nine Democrats who would have supported the Governor had he given certain assurances regarding support for education.  But by the time the Governor acknowledged the Democrats' concerns, much later, his Republican support had evaporated.  Resolution of this issue hangs in the balance as we await an end to the session.

This session has been a tough one for budgeting.  Stimulus dollars have help to an extent.  The higher education appropriation had the benefit of approximately $15 million in stimulus funds for fiscal year 2010, with a like amount available for use in fiscal year 2011.  Higher education officials opted for use of stimulus funds over two years, rather than to use them all at once.   Overall, the general fund appropriation for higher education was down 14.7% from the original 2008 appropriation, and the total was down 5.8%.  All institutions will be challenged to maintain effort with this budget.

This has been a record bad year for K-12 public schools.  I believe it is the first year that general fund spending for public schools has decreased compared to the prior year.  The general fund appropriation has decreased 7.7% from fiscal year 2009.  Most disturbing, $20 million of stimulus money was spent so we could reduce the general fund appropriation by $20 million and to use that money for other budgetary concerns.  The public school budget was then augmented by an additional $40 million of stimulus money.

There have been several attacks on K-12 education policy mounted by conservative lawmakers.  I have joined my colleagues to control damage, with a measure of success.

Every session has the legislation I brand as having entertainment value only.  A few of those for this session include:

Representative Russell Matthews (R-Idaho Falls) sponsored legislation directing the State Treasurer to issue commemorative medallions to be sold to get funding for highway maintenance.  It's almost as good as a bake sale. (Passed the House, held in the Senate.)

Representative Richard Harwood (R-Saint Maries) sponsored a joint memorial criticizing congress for inappropriately delegating its monetary authority to the private Federal Reserve Bank.  Further, the memorial would prohibit federal legislation requiring states to pass certain legislation in order to obtain federal funding. (Passed House and Senate)

Senator Gary Schroeder (R-Moscow) sponsored legislation requiring the Department of Fish and Game to contact, in writing, all state agencies within the United States with comparable powers and duties as those vested in the Department, soliciting interest in the transfer of wolves from Idaho to such agency.  (Passed Senate and House)

Representative Phil Hart (R-Hayden) sponsored legislation stating that when the Canadian gray wolf population exceeds one hundred fifty percent of the population objectives identified in the wolf conservation and management plan for the state of Idaho, and a Canadian gray wolf causes the death of a person within the state of Idaho, any person who protects wolves shall be guilty of a felony.  (Held in House Resources Committee)

I hope to be seeing you on the streets of Latah County soon.  As always, feel free to contact me with ideas and concerns.  sringo at house.idaho.gov; ringoshirl at moscow.com; 208-301-2272.

Sincerely,

Shirley Ringo