[Vision2020] Hunting Down Afghans for Jesus?!

bear at moscow.com bear at moscow.com
Mon May 4 11:45:14 PDT 2009

Nick,

I never saw or even heard anything like that, but being from USCENTCOM
headquarters, the troops tended to treat us like the Army version of the
IRS! General Order #1, which deals with the religious issues was pretty
sacrosanct  while I was there. We did have one problem when the White
House proposed using the phrase "Operation Divine Retribution".....that
was a bad idea and it got changed quickly!

I have had discussions with our chaplains, who DID NOT even proselytize
our own troops let alone the Iraqi or Afghans!  I did have some great
discussions with Afghan generals and senior officers and while religion
came up, it came up in the context of one of the Afghan generals being a
Christian and wanted a beer!

Wayne