[Vision2020] Dynamic Wikipedia article on swine flu outbreak

Kenneth Marcy kmmos1 at verizon.net
Sun May 3 10:15:19 PDT 2009

This morning, after I read the mail, I checked on the totals in the Wikipedia
article on the swine flu outbreak. The number of laboratory confirmed cases
was then at 872. After breakfast and a few morning chores, I pressed the
refresh key for Firefox, and the page is re-drawn to show 909 laboratory
confirmed cases.

I find this subject more interesting than usual because I am acquainted with
one of the article's maintainers, who happens to live in Boise. In addition,
this subject is more interesting than some because it illustrates the ability
of a dynamic on-line encyclopedia to remain up-to-date and thus more useful
than more static information systems with longer production lead times.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2009_swine_flu_outbreak

Ken