[Vision2020] Natural Law vs. Positivist Law Theory: was: Spanish Court Considering Arrest Warrants for American Torturers

Ted Moffett starbliss at gmail.com
Tue Mar 31 11:29:50 PDT 2009

The article first posted regarding court proceedings in Spain against Bush
administration officials involving torture, made no mention of legal
proceedings in a "World Court," unless I missed it.  Anyway, if you read the
source at the bottom of this post, it indicate the US does not recognize the
jurisdiction of the International Criminal Court in the Hague.

Also, the same source at the bottom of my post outlines critical principles
involved in the differences between "Natural Law" and "Legal Positivism"
theory, referencing the legal reasoning in the Nuremberg trials, and the
fact many Germans were following the laws of Germany at that time, which
made some of the Nazi crimes "legal."  Following the legal reasoning in the
Nuremberg trials, Bush administration officials, down to CIA underlings and
US military personal, are likely guilty of war crimes.

The source immediately below might offer legal background for the
prosecution of Bush administration judicial branch officials involved in
legalizing torture:

http://www.law.umkc.edu/faculty/projects/ftrials/nuremberg/alstoetter.htm
---------------

But unless I misunderstand, the Spanish legal proceedings that might lead to
arrest warrants for US Bush administration officials involved in justifying
or committing criminal torture, are not aimed necessarily at a trial in a
"World Court" such as the International Criminal Court in the Hague,
Netherlands.  And in fact, I am inclined to think, the case might still be
brought regardless of US law on this issue, or what international treaties
or conventions the US has signed regarding torture.  I suppose the fact the
US has agreed to international legal guidelines regarding torture, and
has restrictions regarding "cruel and unusual punishment" for prisoners, is
important, but I wonder if these facts are necessary to bring the case in
Spain.

The issue is what Spain's laws state, and what international treaties and
conventions Spain has agreed to involving torture.  Crimes, according to
Spanish law, were committed against Spanish citizens.  If US citizens are
guilty of these crimes, they are criminals under Spanish law.  If they were
convicted in absentia in a Spanish court, the US could refuse extradition.
But if they came to Spain, they could be arrested.

To restate differently as a hypothetical question:  If US law explicitly
stated that torture is allowed to get information from terrorist
suspects, and the US had not signed any international treaties or
conventions that limit torture, if the Spanish citizens involved in this
case were tortured with the complicity of the US, are those involved
criminals under Spanish law, allowing arrest warrants to be issued in
Spain?
The source below outlines Natural Law vs. Legal Positivism and these
theories relation to international law and war crimes and crimes against
humanity:

http://www.westga.edu/~rlane/law/lecture16_lp2.html

Vision2020 Post: Ted Moffett