[Vision2020] April Fools

Kenneth Marcy kmmos1 at verizon.net
Mon Mar 30 10:48:45 PDT 2009

On Monday 30 March 2009 08:07:08 Dave wrote:
> IMO your best option is to simply nuke Windows off of your computer (or
> at least don't use it).  I mean why use such a vulnerable and crappy OS
> in the first place?

Because someone you can't do without requires you to use it.

> Can you give me one good reason (beside gaming)?

Supporting expensive habits like sleeping indoors and eating semi-regularly.

> Start here: http://www.ubuntu.com/

That is a popular place to start, but there are others: www.distrowatch.com

Another item for personal computing protection is a combination hardware
router and firewall. Depending on the model chosen, these can be wired or
wireless, and can accommodate direct subscriber lines, cable modems, and/or
wireless Internet connections.

Often this equipment can provide an adequate electronic separation between
at-home users and malicious Internet denizens. For "belt and suspenders"
security, however, one can create another level of separation by connecting
to the router device another computer with two network cards, and using the
second network card's output as one's Internet source.

Ken