[Vision2020] Say What?

Donovan Arnold donovanjarnold2005 at yahoo.com
Sat Mar 28 22:32:11 PDT 2009

Your idea that we should work hard and send money to Mexico, Donovan, is exactly what Mexican immigrants are doing, benefiting the United States by their work and Mexico by their sending back of money to support family members.

Keely, there is a huge difference between US citizens working and sending money to aid others of their own free will versus that of forcing US citizens to accept anyone into this country illegally, take jobs illegally, not pay income taxes illegally, and use public services they don’t pay for, work in slavery like conditions, and then sending all the money they earn out of country when they go back home.

I would be interested in seeing evidence that Mexico is the 12th wealthiest country in the world.  Do you mean in terms of natural resources?  I can tell you that there is tremendous poverty in Mexico.  I've been there.  Moreover, I know the desperation that my friends describe, and it makes me shudder.

According to the CIA World Fact Book, and other sources, which you are free to look up on your own, indicate that Mexico is the 12th most richest country in terms of GDP and GPP. There is tremendous poverty everywhere, even in the United States. Over 3 billion people in the world are living in what we would consider subhuman standards and living conditions. However, flooding the US with them doesn’t reverse this situation, but it does hurt us. The US doesn’t have the wealth to bring everyone to our level and standard of living. We do have the ability to help other nations, which we should. But are ability to do that is vastly downgraded as we are forced into massive debt trying to take care of 12 million illegal trespassers that destroy our economy.

On the outskirts of Torreon, Coahuila, in north central Mexico there is a shanty town with dozens and dozens of structures (putting it generously) patched together with cardboard, old aluminum siding, plastic awning, trash bags, and mud.  Garden hoses supply water; ditches receive human waste.  In Nogales, Sonora, the Tarahumara Indians beg on the streets and retreat to little more than lean-to's clinging precipitously to eroded hillsides.  They are quite dark and have even less than the desperately poor Nortenos who are less Indian in descent.  In the state of Oaxaca, ranches and homes considered opulent by neighbors don't even have water, light, or even flooring, and children often quit school by fourth grade to work with their parents, for whom a home and a piece of land, no matter how primitive by our standards, represents a dream unlikely to ever be realized -- unless someone immigrates and sends home giros, or money orders and wire transfers.

Illegal immigration worsens these conditions because work given to visitors cannot be fairly accessed to the people that need it most. Work instead goes to those that cut in line, and have greater economic means and resources to overstep the people that are most deserving and in need. Most of the worst living conditions in Mexico are not because of a lack of wealth and resources in Mexico, but because Mexico is not distributing its wealth in a more equitable manner.

Human need is gauged in different ways, though.  How about the woman whose baby was born with indeterminate and undeveloped genitalia, malformed hip sockets and spina bifida so profound that the baby's legs, when sitting, stretched out behind?  Deni's parents were poor, living in a partial-dirt-floor home in Mexico City, and his mom had to quit work to care for him because other women who babysat were terrified of her child, convinced the baby was stricken by the Evil Eye or because of demonic activity in the mom's life.  Surgeons closed Deni's spine and refused to try to do more -- no one had ever seen a case like Deni's, but no resources existed to try exploratory surgeries and therapies.  If you could wrangle a temporary visa, wouldn't you be tempted to stay on and let doctors at Portland's Children's Hospital treat your child?

Most the people in such situations can get an extension to their visas, most people just overstay because they don’t want to go back. These people are ones that prevent people with legitimate reasons from being able to stay longer.

Most the people crossing the boarder are not in dire straits. The people in dire straits cannot afford the $10,000 it costs to cross the boarder. It is lower middle and middle classes in Mexico that are able bodied that come and take jobs from lower and poorer US citizens that are often in terrible personal economic shape and have no medical care either.

The estimated 12 million illegal immigrants in this country are not the poorest of the poor. They are ones with the means and ability to pay $1000s to get here, and have skills to get jobs from US workers. They are not only taking jobs from US workers, but they are also taking jobs from 12 million would-be immigrants that are in a worse economic situation than they are in. This is the middle class stealing from the poor. This is wrong.

Illegal immigration is wrong, and as you can plainly see, doesn’t help their country or their native people either. What it does do is destroy the US economy and its ability to help other nations and people around the world. It takes opportunities away from people with fewer or none. There are over 178 countries in the world. Only 11 are worse off than Mexico. My sympathies are with the countries that are truly poor and have no means.
There are poor everywhere, unfortunately. But destroying the US economy and ignoring US immigration law does not help them. Wealth of the US is not causing poverty elsewhere and we do not have the means to take care of 3 billion globally. But we can help, but giving away our jobs is harmful. Again, the proof is in the pudding.

Best Regards,

Donovan

[...]

I could tell you of many, many incidents other than the presumed lure of easy money that motivated people I know to cross over illegally or overstay visas.  There's nothing at all easy about the money immigrants make, and there's nothing free about crossing.  Buchanan and his ilk love to talk about family values, but when those values are tested to the extreme and courageously lived out by people enormously less fortunate than he is, the focus then turns to American values, or economic values, or any value, anywhere, that'll get us off the hook when it comes to Mexicans illegally crossing the border.

And that's a damned shame.

Keely
http://keely-prevailingwinds.blogspot.com/