[Vision2020] The Bamiyan Buddhas: The Destruction of Afghan Cultural Treasures

Ted Moffett starbliss at gmail.com
Thu Mar 26 11:33:58 PDT 2009

I recall in the 1990s being appalled at the treatment of women by the
Taliban in Afghanistan, along with the destruction of the Buddhist statutes
in 2001, but when I talked to people about the human rights abuses of the
Taliban pre-9/11, most just yawned.  I was amazed that the forces the US had
supported to oppose the Soviet occupation were inflicting totalitarianism on
Afghanistan, and the US seemed oddly disinterested.  President Reagan in the
1980s had praised the mujahedine "freedom fighters," which the
CIA supported, as they inflicted a "Vietnam" styled defeat on the Soviet
occupation of Afghanistan.  But the Taliban's later abuses pre-911 were of
no major interest in the US Machiavellian pursuit of foreign policy goals,
well, except perhaps when they opposed the pipeline that US energy interests
wanted to build through Afghanistan:

As the book "Bin Laden: Forbidden Truth" by Jean-Charles Brisard and
Guillaume Dasquie, describes (once, perhaps still, available at the Moscow
Public Library):

http://www.serendipity.li/wot/bl_tft.htm#godoy

"At one moment during the negotiations, the U.S. representatives told the
Taliban, 'either you accept our offer of a carpet of gold, or we bury you
under a carpet of bombs,'" Brisard said in an interview in Paris. [This
threat was made *before* September 11th.]

----------
The Taliban were also successful at times in slowing opium production in
Afghanistan, which ironically increased after the US invasion.  It has been
suggested that one of the main reasons the Taliban had to be removed was
interference with the very economically powerful opium/heroin
trade, a source of funding for "black ops."

We all know the official line as to why the US had to invade
Afghanistan, to destroy safe havens for terrorists, and to capture Bin
Laden, though Pakistan is as great or greater a problem in this regard, with
nuclear weapons that could end up in extremists control.  9/11 could very
well have happened even without the Taliban in power in Afghanistan; and I
doubt that terrorist operations worldwide were hampered dramatically by the
US occupation.  Those involved in these operations simply moved elsewhere,
with Pakistan next door as a safe haven the US would not invade.  Someone
knows where Bin Laden is, and Pakistan is a likely hiding place.

Info on Taliban successes in reducing opium production:

http://www.atimes.com/atimes/Central_Asia/EI17Ag01.html

Quote below from website above:

That same year, only 35 tonnes of opium were estimated to have been
collected in Taliban-held areas. In one year, Mullah Omar's edict cut
production spectacularly, from 3,300 tonnes in 2000. The Taliban nearly
rooted out opium production in the areas under their control, in contrast to
the United Front-held areas.
---------------------

The current situation in Afghanistan/Pakistan, and the history of the rise
of the Taliban and its support for Islamic extremism and those connected to
9/11, appears to be one of the most glaring examples of "blowback" in the
history US foreign policy/military intervention.

Sometimes I wonder if history would have turned out for the better if the
Soviets had succeeded in maintaining their puppet government in Afghanistan,
and kept the Taliban out of power.  Islamic extremism, and the human rights
abuses of the Taliban, may been limited; and The Buddhist statues may have
survived.  Choices among evils... And pure speculation on my part.

Ted Moffett