[Vision2020] "sustainable" water

Ted Moffett starbliss at gmail.com
Tue Mar 24 11:17:26 PDT 2009

The article below discusses a U.S. Army War College report, "The National
Security Implications of Global Climate Change," which includes climate
change causing melting glaciers, and the resulting impacts on water
supplies, as a major issue:

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2007/04/14/AR2007041401209.html

Military Sharpens Focus on Climate Change
A Decline in Resources Is Projected to Cause Increasing Instability Overseas

By Juliet Eilperin<http://projects.washingtonpost.com/staff/email/juliet+eilperin/>
Washington Post Staff Writer
Sunday, April 15, 2007; Page A06

 The U.S. military is increasingly focused on a potential national security
threat: climate change.

Just last month the U.S. Army War College funded a two-day conference at the
Triangle Institute for Security Studies titled "The National Security
Implications of Global Climate Change."
-----------------------

The Army's former chief of staff, Gen. Gordon R. Sullivan, who is one of the
authors, noted he had been "a little bit of a skeptic" when the study group
began meeting in September. But, after being briefed by top climate
scientists and observing changes in his native New England, Sullivan said he
was now convinced that global warming presents a grave challenge to the
country's military preparedness.

"The trends are not good, and if I just sat around in my former life as a
soldier, if I just waited around for someone to walk in and say, 'This is
with a hundred percent certainty,' I'd be waiting forever," he said.

Part of the sense of urgency, the generals said in interviews last week,
stems from the fact that changing climatic conditions will make it harder
for weak nation-states to address their citizens' basic needs. The report
notes, for example, that 40 percent of the world's population gets at least
half its drinking water from the summer melt of mountain glaciers that are
rapidly disappearing.
Vision2020 Post: Ted Moffett