[Vision2020] Selected regional population growth estimates

Kenneth Marcy kmmos1 at verizon.net
Fri Mar 20 22:01:09 PDT 2009

On Friday 20 March 2009 20:31:43 Craine Kit wrote:
> re: 25. Coeur d'Alene, ID -- population increase 3,264 from 134,211
> to 137,475, a 2.4 percent increase
>
> Last time I passed the CDA city line (summer 2007), the population
> was about 35,000. Where did the extra 100k come from?

The items on the list to which I referred are what the U.S. Census Bureau
calls Standard Metropolitan Statistical Areas, which include more population
than what is contained in just the city limits proper. In the case of Coeur
d'Alene, Idaho, the borders of its SMSA coincide with the Kootenai County
boundary, so what you're seeing is the Kootenai county population estimate.

So, the extra 96,000 or so people are those who live in Kootenai County, but
not in the City of Coeur d'Alene.

From the Google article on Coeur d'Alene (which was faster to look up than the
Census spreadsheets), as of the 2000 census the population of Coeur d'Alene
was 34,514, and the Census Bureau's 2006 estimate is 41,328.

Ken