[Vision2020] Obama's Message to the Iranian People

Kenneth Marcy kmmos1 at verizon.net
Fri Mar 20 14:31:50 PDT 2009

On Friday 20 March 2009 13:51:13 Donovan Arnold wrote:
> I don't think this message is going to work. It is in English, and the
> people in Iran speak Persian, Azeri, Kurdish, Mazandarani, and Gilaki.

Consider 1) the video message included Farsi subtitles, 2) there are many
Iranians willing and able to translate English to Iranians' various
languages, 3) there are some Western-educated Iranians who are able to
understand Obama's message without translation, and, 4) since Obama's message
represents an effort to reach out directly to the Iranian people, the
message's contrast with previous American administrations' attitudes, and the
current Iranian administration's attitude, will enhance the interest and
encourage the attention of Iranian citizens to President Obama's message.

Given the various video, audio, and printed formats the message may achieve,
it is likely that, even given variations from translation and differences in
understanding, the outreach, the tone, and the local political environments
into which the message will be received, different Iranians will interpret
and understand it in various non-identical ways. Their various conversations
among themselves will further change their understanding of the message.

Nonetheless, the message will have effects, and the dialog will continue. As
the dialog continues, the message works.

Ken