[Vision2020] Rights, privileges and licenses

brentbradberry at netscape.net brentbradberry at netscape.net
Wed Mar 18 15:49:33 PDT 2009

Kai and other Visionaires,

A question was raised regarding why we should object to firearms licensing since we don't (at least most people don't) object to driver's licenses. Kai replied that driving was a privilege, while firearms ownership is a right. I don't disagree, but this raises more questions. If licenses apply only to privileges, but not to rights, what about marriage? Is it a right or a privilege? I distinctly remember paying a fee for a marriage license (of course, this was 48 years ago, so maybe things have changed - but I'm pretty sure my wife won't let me get away with claiming that our license has expired).

Brent Bradberry
Driver, firearms owner, and married