[Vision2020] Happy St. Patrick's Day, Moscow

Tom Hansen thansen at moscow.com
Tue Mar 17 06:14:59 PDT 2009

“A Pub With No Beer”

http://www.tomandrodna.com/Songs/Pub_With_No_Beer.mp3

It's lonesome away from your kindred and all
By the campfire at night where the wild dingoes call
But there's-a nothing so lonesome, morbid or drear
Than to stand in the bar of a pub with no beer

Now the publican's anxious for the quota to come
There's a far away look on the face of the bum
The maid's gone all cranky and the cook's acting queer
What a terrible place is a pub with no beer

The stockman rides up with his dry dusty throat
He comes up to the bar and pulls a wad from his coat
But the smile on his face quickly turns to a sneer
When the barman says sadly the pub's got no beer

There's a dog on the v'randa, for his master he waits
While the boss is inside drinking wine with his mates
He hurries for cover and he cringes in fear
It's no place for a dog 'round a pub with no beer

Old Billy the blacksmith, the first time in his life
Has come home cold sober to his darling wife
He walks in the kitchen, she says you're early Bill dear
He breaks down and tells her the pub's got no beer

It's lonesome away from your kindred and all
By the campfire at night where the wild dingoes call
But there's-a nothing so lonesome, morbid or drear
Than to stand in the bar of a pub with no beer

“The Orange and the Green”

http://www.tomandrodna.com/Songs/Orange_and_Green.mp3

Oh, it is the biggest mix-up that you have ever seen.
My father, he was Orange and me mother, she was green.

Oh, my father was an Ulsterman, proud Protestant was he.
My mother was a Catholic girl from County Cork was she.
They were married in two churches and lived happily enough
Until the day that I was born when things got rather tough.

Oh, it is the biggest mix-up that you have ever seen.
My father, he was Orange and me mother, she was green.

Baptised by Father Ivey I was rushed away by car
To be made a little Orangeman, my father's shining star.
I was christened David Anthony but still in spite of that
To my father I was William while my mother called me Pat.

Oh, it is the biggest mix-up that you have ever seen.
My father, he was Orange and me mother, she was green.

With mother every Sunday to Mass I'd proudly stroll,
Then after that the Orange Lodge would try to save my soul.
Though both sides tried to claim me, but I was smart because
I'd play the flute or play the harp depending where I was.

Oh, it is the biggest mix-up that you have ever seen.
My father, he was Orange and me mother, she was green.

One day my ma's relations came 'round to visit me
Just as my father's kinfolk were all sitting down to tea.
We tried to smoothe things over, but they all began to fight
And me being strickly neutral I bashed everyone in sight!

Oh, it is the biggest mix-up that you have ever seen.
My father, he was Orange and me mother, she was green.

Now my parents never could agree about my type of school,
My learning was all done at home, that why I'm such a fool.
They both passed on, God rest them, but left me caught between
That awful color problem of the Orange and the Green.

Oh, it is the biggest mix-up that you have ever seen.
My father, he was Orange and me mother, she was green.

“The Unicorn Song”

http://www.tomandrodna.com/Songs/Unicorn.mp3

A long time ago, when the earth was green
There was more kinds of animals than you've ever seen
They'd run around free while the Earth was being born
And the loveliest of all was the unicorn

There was green alligators and long-necked geese
Some humpty backed camels and some chimpanzees
Some cats and rats and elephants, but sure as you're born
The loveliest of all was the unicorn

God seen some sinning and it gave Him pain
And He says, "Stand back, I'm going to make it rain"
He says, "Hey Noah, I'll tell you what to do
Build me a floating zoo,
and take some of them...

Green alligators and long-necked geese
Some humpty backed camels and some chimpanzees
Some cats and rats and elephants, but sure as you're born
Don't you forget My unicorns

Old Noah was there to answer the call
He finished up making the ark just as the rain started fallin’
He marched the animals two by two
And he called out as they came through
Hey Lord,

I've got green alligators and long-necked geese
Some humpty backed camels and some chimpanzees
Some cats and rats and elephants, but Lord, I'm so forlorn
I just can't see no unicorns

And Noah looked out through the driving rain
Them unicorns were hiding, playing silly games
Kicking and splashing while the rain was falling
Oh, them silly unicorns

There was green alligators and long-necked geese
Some humpty backed camels and some chimpanzees
Noah cried, "Close the door because the rain is falling
And we just can't wait for no unicorns"

The ark started moving, it drifted with the tide
The unicorns looked up from the rocks and they cried
And the waters came down and started to float them away
That's why you never see unicorns to this very day

You'll see green alligators and long-necked geese
Some humpty backed camels and some chimpanzees
Some cats and rats and elephants, but sure as you're born
You're never gonna see no unicorns

“There’s No One as Irish as Barack O’Bama”

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HplZ_taHXLM

“O’Leary, O’Reilly, O’Hare and O’Hara
There’s no one as Irish as Barack O’Bama

You don’t believe me, I hear you say
But Barack’s as Irish as was JFK
His grandaddy’s daddy came from Moneygall
A small Irish village, well known to you all

Toor a loo, toor a loo, toor a loo toor a lama
There’s no one as Irish as Barack O’Bama

He’s as Irish as bacon, and cabbage and stew
He’s Hawaiian, he’s Kenyan, American too
He’s in the White House, he took his chance
Now let’s see Barack do Riverdance

Toor a loo, toor a loo, toor a loo toor a lama
There’s no one as Irish as Barack O’Bama

>From Kerry and Cork to old Donegal
Let’s hear it for Barack from old Moneygall
>From the lakes of Killarney to old Connemara
There’s no one as Irish as Barack O’Bama

O’Leary, O’Reilly, O’Hare and O’Hara
There’s no one as Irish as Barack O’Bama
>From the ould Blarney stone to the green hills of Tara
There’s no one as Irish as Barack O’Bama

Two thousand and eight, the White House is free
They’re cheering in Mayo, and in Skibereen
The Irish in Kenya and in Yokahama
Are cheering for President Barack O’Bama

O’Leary, O’Reilly, O’Hare and O’Hara
There’s no one as Irish as Barack O’Bama
>From the ould Blarney stone to the green hills of Tara
There’s no one as Irish as Barack O’Bama

The hockey mom’s gone, and so is McCain
They’re cheering in Texas and Borrisokane
In Moneygall town, the greatest of drama
For our famous president, Barack O’Bama

Toor a loo, toor a loo, toor a loo toor a lama
There’s no one as Irish as Barack O’Bama

The great Stephen Neill a great man of God
He proved that Barack was from the auld sod
They came by bus, they came by car
To celebrate Barack, in Ollie Hayes’ bar

O’Leary, O’Reilly, O’Hare and O’Hara
There’s no one as Irish as Barack O’Bama
>From the ould Blarney stone to the green hills of Tara
There’s no one as Irish as Barack O’Bama

Toor a loo, toor a loo, toor a loo toor a lama
There’s no one as Irish as Barack O’Bama.”

Seeya round town, Moscow.

"Bu mhath an sgàthan sùil caraid."
(A friend’s eye is a good looking-glass.)