[Vision2020] Sprinklers vs. Drip line: was Walmart Gets Nod for Starting Work

Garrett Clevenger garrettmc at verizon.net
Fri Mar 13 12:00:53 PDT 2009

Matt probably knows a whole lot more about sprinklers than I, since his company is Raindrop Sprinklers.

For our needs, though, compared to the system we have set up, sprinklers wouldn't be as efficient. And compared to large farms that are irrigated with sprinkler systems, we are way more efficient.

The prob em with sprinklers is that there is a lot more evaporation that happens compared to drip lines. The flow rate may be less in sprinklers, but a less percentage of the water emitted makes it to the plant roots that we want to grow than drip line.

For one thing, since sprinklers cause the water to have more surface area and the water is sprayed in the air, there is more chance for evaporation from the sun and wind. Drip lines slowly emit the water right on the soil and right where we want it, so evaporation is minimized. It also means less mud in the walkways.

I also like to cover up the drip line, with either soil or mulch, which reduces evaporation.

Sprinklers broadcast on areas that we wouldn't want to get water, like between our beds, which means more water is being used to water weeds, which we then have to work to hoe or pull.

We also have to be concerned about getting the plants wet to prevent sun scorching and disease, so if we were to use sprinklers, we'd have to make sure we do in the early morning so the water would evaporate (more lost water) before the sun is out in full force.

For large farms, they mostly use old sprinkler systems. They are leaky and usually running during the heat of the day in order to water the large areas. I can't remember the exact percentage of lost water due to using sprinklers on these farms, but a good portion of that water is never used by the plants.

So for us, it seems sprinklers would be more inefficient (and cause more problems) compared to using drip lines and our drip lines are way more efficient compared to large farms using sprinklers.

gclev