[Vision2020] Growing Food Locally Was:Walmart Gets Nod for Starting Work

Garrett Clevenger garrettmc at verizon.net
Fri Mar 13 11:37:01 PDT 2009

Dononvan writes:

"Once someone can give me seeds to grow my own Double Quarter Pounder w/xtra cheese and a chocolate milkshake, I will be growing my own food."

I still don't grow all the food we eat. That would be great, but is highly unlikely. We don't eat out much, but it's nice to get a meal someone else makes, and not much beats a chocolate milkshake.

I'm glad Moscow has places to find those things, even candy. Moscow does have a candy factory (Cowgirl Chocolates) but obviously we require shipping of gummy bears and the like.

I'm not advocating ceasing shipping of commodities to Moscow, merely that what we can produce here, support. In the long run, it is more sustainable and getting closer to living within our means.

But it doesn't mean Hawkins is going to be providing a whole lot more variety. Afterall, stores here can order you things you're wanting if they don't already have it. And with the internet the sky's the limit. Since you are supposed to pay the sales tax to Idaho on even out-of-state internet orders, at least that sales tax revenue stays here (if people are honest about reporting it, that is...)

gclev