[Vision2020] Walmart Gets Nod for Starting Work

Garrett Clevenger garrettmc at verizon.net
Thu Mar 12 18:35:55 PDT 2009

g writes:

"Sounds as though you aren't all that sure how your own well recharges. By your own argument shouldn't you cease using it till more is known? I'd venture to guess that most of what is sold at The Clev's veggie farm can now be found in Moscow, why waste additional water producing more? Aren't you deliberately creating a situation that imposes "a loss of sales to businesses in Moscow."

>From what I've heard about the aquifers around here, the shallow aquifer recharges yearly, which is why I say, "more than likely."

I tend to be careful about using definitive statements, so maybe you'd be happier if I said, "the water we uses recharges yearly," but like most things, it's a best guess, but also based on my experience with using that well.

As far as the vegies we produce already being found in Moscow, I'd say you are right, if you are talking about other locally grown vegies. But to compare them to vegies needing to be trucked in, misses the point of why people want to support local farmers.

For one thing, since we aren't shipping them half-way around the world, or even 100 miles, we aren't as reliant on fossil fuels. That also means, during the season, our vegies are fresher, they are picked riper and more of the money people spend on them stays local. We also don't use pesticides (which is why I suppose you think I'm a "bug farmer") so that is a big distinction to vegies grown with pesticides, which is what most of the food people eat was grown with.

I'm all for more local farmers growing food here. I welcome fellow farmers, and encourage people to think about growing food, even if for their own use. I think there is enough demand around here, and that demand will only grow (pun intended). I doubt the amount of food we currently grow has a big dent on other the overall vegetable market in Moscow.

Growing food makes you realize that the price people pay for food is incredibly cheap. We'd love to be able to charge more, to make farming more profitable, but unfortunately the way the system is set up, the food you buy is cheap and that's what we have to compete against.

You aren't paying the true cost of that food, instead relying on subsidies and cheap labor. I don't expect you to pay more for food, but many people are starting to put two and two together and are using their money to vote for more sustainable growing practices by being willing to pay closer to the true cost of growing food.

Considering the Palouse has some of the most fertile land in the world, and apparently enough water according to some people to grow at any cost, then it seems to me we could be producing a lot of food here, which would do wonders for our local economy while lessening our overall impact on the rest of the planet.

I think you also miss the point of my concern with Hawkins. They won't be taking business from me. They probaly won't be using the water we rely on for our farm. While I am concerned about farmland being swallowed up, and water being used for things that seem frivilous, I believe Hawkins will also have a negative affect on Moscow on the whole.

Like I said before, I have nothing against competition per se, but it's the scale of Hawkins that is the issue. Since it's twice the size as our mall, they probably will have a big impact on businesses in Moscow and on the overall water available for Moscow's use.

gclev