[Vision2020] Alternative Water Sources/ was Potential Opportunity from Perceived Necessity

Ted Moffett starbliss at gmail.com
Wed Mar 11 12:45:15 PDT 2009

Unless I missed it, management of fish was not mentioned in this discussion
about piping Snake River water to the Palouse.  Plans to remove dams on the
Snake River to improve fish viability was once proposed, but one objection
was the potential loss of irrigation water for farming (and of course
hydro-power and recreation impacts).  Already hydro-power generation is
sometimes/or has been sacrificed to facilitate downstream smolt movement in
the Spring, letting water spill thus not generating power.  Turbines kill
fish, though moving fish screens have been placed in the front of dams to
remove the fish before they go through the blender, and barging (can you
believe it?) has been employed to prevent mortality of smolt through the
dam/river system.  They are shipped down river in barges turned into huge
fish tanks...

If use of Snake River water to supply cities and industry dramatically
increased, this might add another nail to the Salmon's coffin...

Ted Moffett