[Vision2020] Walmart Gets Nod for Starting Work

Tom Hansen thansen at moscow.com
Mon Mar 9 11:16:42 PDT 2009

Not only that, Garrett -

If we limit our work force potential to the WalMart, minimum wage, part-
time jobs, that is all we will ever have.  The labor force at these jobs
will experience an approximate 25-percent turn-over every graduation day,
as those very same employees graduate, pack their bags and move to greener
pastures.

Should Walmart build a supercenter in Clarkston (as they are planning) and
a supercenter in Pullman (which has been give the "green light" . . . and
Hawkins Companies builds its state line mall, I suggest that we append a
slogan to the Moscow city limits signs . . .

"When after graduation, you seek a career,
Don't bother look'n 'cause you won't find one here."

Seeya at the Intolerista Wingdin, Moscow.

Tom Hansen
SFC, US Army (Retired, Thank God)
Moscow, Idaho

> Donovan satirizes:
>
> "Now is the time to demand impossible standards of employers, and be as
picky as possible
about the kind of jobs we want."

> Yes, let's bend over backwards for the Waltons. Instead of them relying
on cheap labor in
China, let's give them cheap labor here in Moscow! We need the jobs, after
all, and who
cares if we pollute the water manufacturing cheap stuff. At least
Americans won't put
toxins in stuff they'll sell to other Americans, right? We'll keep stuff
even cheaper
saving on fuel costs since we won't have to transport it half way round
the world.

> Yes, I want Walmart to keep growing and growing until all that's left
are Walmart stores
because their quality is sooo good, I don't really want accountability,
and I love the
Waltons so much I think they deserve a few more billion dollars. Who needs
to make more
than a couple bucks a day, anyway?

> But seriously...
>
> Walmarts sales are up 6.5% compareded to last year. The irony is, as
people get poorer,
they need cheaper things, and they're less likely to care why things are
so cheap, and
who's making the majority of the $$$. A terrible downward spiral.

> Many people don't know or care that the family who owns Walmart is one
of the richest
families on the planet. As of last September, 4 of the top 10 riches
Americans are Waltons
on Forbes Riches Americans list, with a total net worth of almost $100
billion.

> According to http://www.forbes.com/lists/2008/54/400list08_Jim-
Walton_JI38.html

> Wal-Mart is the world's largest retailer: 7,300 stores, 2 million
employees serve 200
million customers. Sales: $378 billion

> Walmart may provide jobs in their ever-expanding business, and insure we
have cheap stuff,
but at what cost?

> In order for the Waltons to become super-billionaires, most other people
are losing out.
There is a finite amount of wealth and resources, so to think that the
Waltons could amass
such wealth without causing other people to loss money is idiotic.

> Someone has to pay for their billions, and while they may provide cheap
stuff for the poor
people they exploit, they are causing an unsustainable trade deficit
supporting foreign
companies that have lax labor and environmental laws who sell to Walmart
toxic toys and
food that Walmart then pushes on to poor Americans who in turn help cause
the downfall of
smaller, family-owned and independent stores, who can't sell as cheap
stuff because they
don't have the buying power, they actually try to pay their employees a
living wage and
they don't have the political clout to gain tax-breaks from towns so
desperate to create
jobs and have cheap stuff that they are willing to sacrifice downtowns to
the holy Walton
empire who will then be able to hire Americans because in order to compete
with foreign
labor we now are willing to work for nothing in polluted environments. Who
needs high
standards, anyway!

> I can accept that if you don't know that the Waltons are exploiting
people to make their
billions you might support them, but if you're smart enough to put two and
two together
and give your money to Walmart, you are culpable in allowing Walmart to
continue to drive
American wages down, and possibly lower our labor and environmental
standards in order to
compete.

> It seems rather selfish that in order to maintain access to addictive
cheap stuff some
would sacrifice the overall security of our country. Thus why the rich get
richer, and the
poor get poorer.

> Fight for the right of poor people to have access to cheap stuff with
one hand, drive the
stake into the heart of poor people with the other. How ironic!

> Now is exactly the time to start building the foundation of a new
economic model, not
continue to pour trillions into what obviously is a discredited system
with Walmart
leading the charge. (Charge it to future generations, that is...)