[Vision2020] Sell-Outs: Senator Gary Schroeder and Moscow City Councilman Walter Steed

Bill London london at moscow.com
Sun Mar 8 14:14:11 PDT 2009

P-
I disagree on both points

1. "we have control"
nope.  Hawkins will have control.  They will have the contractual right to
(as I recall) 65 acre feet annually.  They can use that water or sell it or
dump it in Paradise Creek.  Moscow must supply that amount by contract.  If
the aquifer drops and we are rationing water or whatever, they are first in
line.  Maybe they will be nice and sell it back to us.

2. "we make money"
nope. The latest I heard was Moscow will get less than $10,000 per year,
total from the Hawkins deal. And the reality is that the loss of sales tax
and property tax revenue from the movement of business across the state line
will much more than offset that meager amount. And if their use, or other
growth, requires Moscow to drill deeper, we all pay for Hawkins
water --again --because of those huge capital costs.

BL