[Vision2020] Obama to Rescind Conscience Rule

Saundra Lund sslund_2007 at verizon.net
Tue Mar 3 23:46:49 PST 2009

Tongue planted firmly in cheek, I have to say that I don't think the
Conscience Rule was all bad  J  Of course, it helps that it was drafted by
morons who didn't bother to think about anything other than trying to ram
their beliefs down the throats - and into the pocketbooks - of everyone.

First, I think folks should read what it actually says and what it actually
requires.  It's freely available in the CRF - have a good read.

Second, isn't it absolutely amazing that so many of the people - who lost
the election - are screaming about evil government and wanting to keep evil
government as small as possible except when they want it to advance their
personal agendas?  Why, the unmasking of the hypocrisy alone is worth the
price of admission, isn't it?

Third, I personally was looking forward to seeing Mr. Crabtree's howls of
indignation the first time a clinic refused to provide prenatal care to a
welfare mother with more children than she can support.  Or, the first time
a married woman was denied insurance coverage for baby number three, four,
five, or more.  Or, the first time one of his buddies was denied his ED
medication.  Or, a loved one was denied reconstructive surgery following a
mastectomy.  And so forth.

Because, of course, the "Conscience Rule" allowed health providers (the
definition of which was incredibly broad) to refuse to provide, participate
in (even tangentially), provide referrals, or process claims and payments
not only on the basis of "sincere religious belief," but also "moral
conviction."  Thus, health care delivery in this country was turned into an
arena where others were given free rein to force their religious beliefs and
moral convictions on the rest of us.

And, let's think . . . just for a minute . . . about implementation.  In
order to maintain adequate standards of care, this moronic "Conscience Rule"
opened the door for employers - including the government - to stick their
noses into the religious beliefs and moral convictions of their employees
and potential employees.  How else could they make sure to staff adequately
for whatever situation might arise?  You wouldn't want, for instance, the
only lab employee on duty to be a Jehovah's Witness who is willing to do all
the work except those pertaining to transfusions if you were the victim of a
drunk driver and needed an emergency blood transfusion, would you?

So, that brings us to the next inevitable result:  skyrocketing health care
costs.  Because in order to maintain adequate standards of care, more
employees would be required at all times to pick up the slack of those
refusing to do all aspects of the jobs they were hired to do.  So, not only
was our care - and not just those pertaining to family planning,
reproductive freedom, and end of life care - to be dictated by the religious
beliefs and moral convictions of those calling the shots, but we were
supposed to pay for the increased financial burden of those religious
beliefs and convictions.  Yeah, that was gonna be real helpful for those of
us already struggling with out-of-control health care costs.

Yuppers, that "Conscience Rule" was a real brilliant move conceived by
incredibly brilliant people, huh?  It would have been a real hoot to see
their spittle-flecked outraged faces when they realized the Pandora's Box
they opened.

Saundra

Moscow, ID

nothing.