[Vision2020] Idaho Family Fights to Help Afghan Immigrate

bear at moscow.com bear at moscow.com
Tue Jun 30 11:15:22 PDT 2009

While I admire the Welch family for trying to help Baktash, who for all
appearances is a great fellow and is raising a family under what are very
trying conditions (an I hope he does find a way to the US if that's what
he wants, lets remember that Mr. Welch is over there, not out a sense of
patriotism, but he is a contractor, he is there for the money.  If
captured by what ever we would consider "the other side" to be, based on
the definitions that were put down by the US government, at best he is a
mercenary, at worst, an "illegal enemy combatant".

One of the great failures of the "Rumsfeld doctrine" is the growing need
for mercenaries to carry out duties in a combat zone that should be done
by the military. For a quick, expeditionary use of force, where the forces
will only be on the ground for 30-45 days, the cutback of service forces
in the military makes sense, but once a force is in place, in this case
for years, the ability of the armed forces to sustain itself in place is
greatly degrades and the use of mercenaries for such support is tragically
necessary, and does not safe money.

An example of this is the use of civilian contractors for construction
support in the field. Prior to the Rumsfeld doctrine, construction would
be carried out by military combat engineers, whom, if taken under fire by
enemy forces dropped their spades and hammers and picked up their rifles
and defended themselves.  Now, we bring in civilian contractors to do the
construction, and when they come under fire, the military is expected to
defend them. Same thing with cooks, maintenance, electricians etc etc.  So
we're not just paying top-dollar to the corporations  providing the
workers, but on top of that, the military has to supply the force
protection. And in instances where there is an attempt to bring in armed
mercenaries to provide that force protection themselves, it has been a
disaster. Blackwater is a good example of that.

And the expanded use of such contractors lends itself to long and
protracted conflicts. Rather than trying to get in, get the job done and
go home, a quick engagement and disengagement  results in a loss of jobs.
It is in the best interests of the contractors that the conflict, and
their contracts last as long as possible.