[Vision2020] UI, bSU, ISU Presidents Receive Pay Raises

Paul Rumelhart godshatter at yahoo.com
Sat Jun 27 09:40:20 PDT 2009

Tom Hansen wrote:
> "Both Bob Kustra at BSU and Arthur Vailas at ISU will receive an
> additional $37,000 in pay via the foundations at their respective schools.
> President Dene Thomas at Lewis-Clark State College received a bump in pay
> absent the foundation money based on LCSC's smaller foundation."
>
> Tha't right, V-peeps (nice monicker, Area Man).  During these extremely
> tight economic times, while many staff and faculty employees at UI are
> merely hoping for pay cuts, in lieu of a pink slip, our university
> presidents are receiving pay raises ($37,000 each).

Technically, the pay for staff and faculty and the additional pay for
the Presidents are unrelated because they come from two different
sources.  The staff and faculty pay comes from State funds, grants, and
revenue while the additional pay comes from gifts and money made off of
gifts by the Foundations.

That aside, I'm still undecided on whether or not this is a problem.  It
may make sense to raise salaries for top executives in a time when a
loss of one would be very expensive to fill - both in terms of money
spent on the searches, resources spent on them, the time it takes for a
search to complete, and the loss of new leadership in the interim.  On
the other hand, that money could probably be spent elsewhere to better
effect.

Paul