[Vision2020] A Guide To A Successful Father's Day

Tom Hansen thansen at moscow.com
Sun Jun 21 09:35:02 PDT 2009

A Guide To A Successful Father's Day
By Bob Schieffer

Based on my service as a father of two adult daughters and three
granddaughters, here's my guide to a successful Father's Day.

One: Avoid jokes. I've never known a child, teenager, young adult or adult
who ever laughed at anything ever said by a parent.

Babies love to be tickled, but happy results from parental comedy pretty
much stop there.

Two: Do not sing, even to the grandchildren. The parents have already
convinced them that you cannot carry a tune.

Three: Do not, under any circumstances, use the Father's Day lunch to
reveal you may try out for "Dancing With the Stars."

Four: Avoid all mention of illness, especially dental and digestive
problems. Senior problems are of no interest to Juniors.

Five: Offer no advice unless asked on anything, especially affairs of the
heart, which obviously no parent has ever had any experience with.

Six: Pick up the check. They really like that! Besides, the waiter always
gives it to the oldest guy at the table anyway.

If you will follow these rules you'll probably get a nice tie today. Maybe
even a hug, which makes it all worth it . . .

. . . even that part about having to pass on "Dancing with the Stars."

Now, if you'll excuse me, I have a call to make.

Happy Fathers' Day, Moscow.

"My father gave me the greatest gift anyone could give another person, he
believed in me."

- Jim Valvano