[Vision2020] More Banning?

Joe Campbell philosopher.joe at gmail.com
Sat Jun 20 08:01:49 PDT 2009

If you let the market decide, Bear, things will remain the same. The
market is deciding right now! We could have let the market decide wrt
asbestos removal or drug abuse but in those cases there are clear
social costs. I'm not suggesting that the second hand smoke problem is
in their league -- it isn't -- but it does seem to be a social
problem, and it is unlikely that things will change unless the
government steps in. What I'm not sure about is whether it is enough
of a problem for government intervention. The good posts on both sides
of the debate suggest that the answer is not clear.

Joe Campbell