[Vision2020] Moscow Man Practices a Different Kind of Religion

Tom Hansen thansen at moscow.com
Tue Jun 16 09:01:40 PDT 2009

Courtesy of today's (June 16, 2009) Moscow-Pullman Daily News.

Wiccan high priest hoping to educate people about his beliefs

By Mark Williams, Daily News staff writer
June 16, 2009

Anthony Lindberg isn't trying to preach to anyone.

The Moscow resident said he is teaching classes on the religion of Wicca
simply to inform people. The religion involves the worship of multiple
deities and is closely tied with nature and a belief in magic.

"Not only can people who are interested in becoming Wiccan come to the
class, but also people who don't know anything about it," he said. "From
somebody interested in becoming Wiccan to a Catholic priest, if they
wanted to come sit in on the classes, that's fine.

"Basically I'm looking to inform people and let them make an informed
decision, which is sometimes not a choice that is given to people."

Lindberg said he is a Wiccan high priest. He moved to Moscow in February
and is in preparations to teach his first Wiccan class this Friday at
Sisters' Brew Coffee House.

The 35-year-old first started practicing the religion in his late 20s and
previously taught classes in Iowa.

"There were a lot of people in the area who were interested, but not a lot
offered, so I decided to start offering classes," he said. "Basically how
I became able to teach classes is because I've read 40 to 50 books on the
topic of Wicca, I've done a lot of research on the Internet and I think
I've got a pretty good grasp on how things work."

Lindberg said he would ultimately like to form a coven in Moscow (similar
to a church), but also is eager to educate people on what the religion is
really about.

"It's really tough sometimes," he said. "One of the big misconceptions is
that we worship Satan, which is not true. Satan is a Christian concept."

The group does openly practice witchcraft, including the casting of
spells, which aren't quite what people traditionally think of, Lindberg
said.

"It's a ritualistic setup," he said. "The end-all-be-all goal is much like
prayer. When you pray you are extending your will to a higher being to get
what you want. Ultimately that's what people do when they pray. ... When
you cast a spell you are simply channeling your energy to get the same
thing done. Instead of having God work for you, you are working with the
gods to get things done."

Lindberg said Wicca doesn't allow for the use of spells and magic for
negative purposes and spells cannot be cast on someone who doesn't know or
doesn't want one. Nor is the term "magic" really thought of in the same
way.

"The biggest misconception about magic is that we're looking for
instantaneous change in the outside world," he said. "How magic really
works is that you're changing yourself from the inside out first. When you
change yourself you will slowly see the world around you change."

---------------

Anthony Lindberg

http://www.dnews.com/images/3687373.jpg

"Prayer for Unity"
>From "The Wiccan Prayer Book" by Mark Ventimiglia

"Dear eternal Father, there is much unrest and disunity in the world. Help
us to embrace each other and live in peace and harmony in the pagan way.
Dear eternal Mother, we realize there are many different traditions of
faith. Help us to see past the difference and unite as one family in total
harmony and love. So Mote It Be."

Seeya round town, Moscow.

“When science finally locates the center of the universe, some people will
be surprised to learn they’re not it.”

- Sun Magazine