[Vision2020] Sotomayor: US Supreme Court's Sixth Catholic?

keely emerinemix kjajmix1 at msn.com
Mon Jun 15 08:55:06 PDT 2009

Thanks, Ted, for another provocative post.  I'm heading off to an appointment now, but let me just say that I agree that there is a moral consistency to the Catholic Church's insistence that, for example, the IUD is an abortifacient -- but I'm not sure science supports the designation of contraceptive pills as a means of ending the living existence (even I have a hard time using "life") of the uterine-implanted fertilized egg.  I could be wrong, though, but I could not support the banning of contraceptive pills; to do so would, in my mind, increase the likelihood of more abortions sought.  Further, that would be an intrusion into a woman's life that I cannot endorse.

But the condom and other "barrier" methods, or coitus interruptus (the "withdrawal" method that virtually guarantees pregnancy) simply prevent one component of fertilization -- sperm -- from reaching the egg.  I don't see a moral issue there.  (Of course, I don't think that the Biblical story of Onan, often used to decry the alleged sinfulness of coitus interruptus, has anything to do with contraception or sex, just as it has nothing to do with masturbation).  I am heartily in favor of contraception, but I am uncomfortable with the IUD, as it expels from the uterus the fertilized egg.  I don't think contraceptive pills do that, but I could be wrong.

As for babies whose extremely premature birth emperils their survival, I still have to fall on the side of doing whatever can be done to save the baby and give her some  hope.  On the other hand, when an infant, once born, clearly cannot survive -- anencephalic, for example -- then the most loving thing a parent can do is hold that child until death comes naturally.  There is no sin, condemnation, or shame in not trying to overrule what would seem to be the clear intent of God (for me) or biology (for those who are disinclined to think in religious terms).  Compassion sometimes doesn't interfere with natural death.

Keely
http://keely-prevailingwinds.blogspot.com/