[Vision2020] NYTimes: The Big Hate

Paul Rumelhart godshatter at yahoo.com
Sun Jun 14 19:49:55 PDT 2009

Andreas Schou wrote:

>     I'd hate to live in a world where not simply stating a contrary
>     opinion,
>     but even just holding a contrary belief is not acceptable.
>
>     Paul
>

> It seems strange to me, Paul, that you seem to see no difference
> between "not acceptable" and "not allowed." I would be perfectly fine
> with a world in which Holocaust deniers and slavery apologists
> were embarrassed to state their opinion in public, and in which  they
> could not make a living promulgating their views. Wouldn't you?
>
> -- ACS

You're right, I said "acceptable" when what I really meant was
"allowed".   I was thinking in terms of the government, though, not
individuals.  If the government deems something "unacceptable", that's
not much different than "not allowed".  I don't care if holding an
unpopular view leads to public ridicule, except that I would hope people
would show more respect for others than that.

I just want to keep the government out of my head.  I want to be free to
believe what I wish, even if you would be embarrassed if you held the
same opinion.  My views align with yours on those two topics, but maybe
they don't on others.

For example, I've had personal experiences with the "paranormal" and
thus believe it to be true in at least a few select areas.  That could
easily be a view that might someday be deemed "unacceptable" by society,
if it isn't already.  They might even go so far as to indoctrinate
school children into not believing in it, and they might categorize that
belief as a "disorder" and may even force a stay in an institution if
it's found that that belief is held.  Look at past history and tell me
that could never happen.  I don't want what someone thinks is "the
truth" crammed down my throat.

Take those views together with my skepticism of some anthropogenic
global warming claims and I'm a candidate for the "re-education camps".
I'd rather we as a society didn't go there.

What this all comes down to is the fact that we aren't final arbiters of
the truth-with-a-capital-T.  I'm pretty damn sure that the holocaust
happened, and I'm pretty damn sure that being a slave in the South was
no picnic.  But I was at one time pretty damn sure that the paranormal
was a load of crap.  Given that, it's just simpler if we draw the line
at our skulls and let people believe what they wish.

Paul