[Vision2020] Book Recommendation/Request

keely emerinemix kjajmix1 at msn.com
Sun Jul 12 14:47:10 PDT 2009

Sigh.

I read this book about six months and found it to be a well-documented trip into a place I would never want to go.  Basically, it's about a group of "Christians" who, under the banner of "Jesus-Plus-Nothing," seek out men in positions of power, prominence, and privilege so that they can . . . preach the Gospel?  No.  Feed the poor?  No.  Seek to identify with the widow, orphan, outcast and scorned?  Well, no.  Somehow, Abraham Verghese founded a group, now headed by a shadowy figure named Douglas Coe, that wends its way through the halls of power hear and across the country like a toxic vapor of political manipulation in the name of Jesus, forging contacts and alliances with truly awful dictators (Suharto, anyone?) who pledge momentary, frail allegiance to Christ as a means of maintaining power or realizing more of it.  It made me sick.  The Gospel was first preached to the poor, the stranger, the outcast, the shunned, and the real Church of Jesus Christ is the Church of those who seek nothing in this world but fellowship with him and service to those around them in his name.  Any "ministry" to the powerful that leads to politics, not personal transformation, is no ministry at all.

I cannot for the life of me fathom how this parallel world of "Jesus-Plus-Nothing" has come to co-exist so comfortably with those who in every decision, in every deliberation, violate the Kingdom message of Christ.

Oh, wait -- I get it.

It's because all too many Western Christians stupidly believe that "civil religion," "cultural Christiandom," and rote religiosity is good enough -- worse, even faithful to Christ -- if it'll result in a few political victories and a bit of political power.

It makes me absolutely sick.  The biggest victory of Satan has been to convince the world that civic Christiandom is the goal, and the Church has taken the bait and fished not for the souls of humankind, but for the "right" words, the "right" political platforms, and the "right" posturing of something that looks just enough like faith to comfort the comfortable.

God have mercy.

Keely
http://keely-prevailingwinds.blogspot.com/