[Vision2020] Fw: [Spam 5.86] BE OUTSIDE!

Darrell Keim keim153 at gmail.com
Thu Jan 29 22:59:46 PST 2009

Good catch-I meant secular.  Other comments interspersed below:

2009/1/29 Ted Moffett <starbliss at gmail.com>:
> Darrell Keim keim153 at gmail.com wrote:
>
> http://mailman.fsr.com/pipermail/vision2020/2009-January/061064.html
>
> Scouting secularity-I can see some folks having an issue with a requirement
> of belief in
> God.  Beyond that-they are non-secular.  They don't care which god you
> worship.
> ------------------------
> I assume you meant to write "Beyond that-they are secular" not "non-secular"
> given that being secular implies not enforcing any particular religious
> belief.  But you still imply a belief in some sort of God when your write
> "They don't care which God you worship."  What if it is Nature itself that
> you "worship," not a "God? "

I've not seen the BSA make any effort to define what a "God" is.  That
is left completely up to the individual.

>After all, people are a part of Nature, a
> subset, if you will, and the continuing insistence we are not is perhaps one
> of the greatest human illusions.  The science of biology, ecology and
> genetics is revealing more and more just how much humanity is a result of
> the evolution of life on Earth over billions of years... but I digress.
>
> The first sentence of the post starting this thread, quoting Seth Norman, is
> clearly false, if describing the beliefs of the people of the US.  Most
> people in the US do not "figure out that it's people, not nature, who create
> morality, values, ethics..."  In fact, most people believe that
> "...morality, values, ethics..." are derived from God and Biblical
> Scripture, not people.  To claim that "it's people, ... , who create
> morality, values, ethics..." is a belief that many would label "atheist or
> agnostic secular humanism" and is often objected to vehemently.

I don't think I've said anything about this.  I think you must be
quoting from a different poster.

> Regarding this thread's discussion of Scouting, and whether it is "secular"
> or not, youth in the Boy or Girl Scouts who consistently insist that God is
> not the source of their "morality, values, ethics" but people (or Nature,
> for that matter) would often be facing peer and adult pressure to modify or
> tone down their ethical epistemology,

Oddly enough, I haven't seen a lot of Scout youth engaged in deep
religious and philosophical discussions.  But, we both know the BSA
stance on atheism.  They do believe that some sort of belief system is
a fundamental part of morality, etc.

>just as youth in the public schools
> who insist on not reciting the Pledge of Allegiance, with its reference to
> "one nation under God," can face similar pressure:
>
> Boy Scout Oath
>
> On my honor I will do my best To do my duty to God and my country
> ----
> So is this oath not taken in the Scouting groups you refer to below?:

Of course, you know they still use the Scout Oath.  My point was not
that Scouting is not religious-that would be patently false.  My point
is that how religious a troop is (and, indeed, what religion if any is
emphasized) varies from troop to troop, and leader to leader.  The
closest some groups come to being religious is when they say the Scout
Oath.  And, as I said before, others strongly emphasize prayer and
worship.

One size truly does not fit all with Scouting.  Every troop is a
product of the volunteers running it, and what they want it to be.
I've seen very religous, and almost non-religous.  I've also seen
atheist and homosexual parents with kids in local groups, and they
seemed very content.  Every Scouting group is different in how it is
run, and the elements of the program they choose to highlight.