[Vision2020] Fw: [Spam 5.86] BE OUTSIDE!

Kai Eiselein, Editor editor at lataheagle.com
Thu Jan 29 14:37:38 PST 2009

I liked the uniform, it told you a lot about another Scout; rank, troop and
state, patrol name or whether he was a Patrol Leader, Senior Patrol Leader
and such. The easiest to spot were members of Leadership Corps, because in
addition to a red shoulder patch, we were the only ones allowed to wear a
red beret.
Within a few seconds, you could "read" a uniform and either find something
in common or something you might be curious about. Either way, it gave you a
chance to talk and make friends.
One thing have have noticed of late, is how some troops seem to churn out
Eagle Scouts. It used to be that you couldn't expect to attain that rank
until you were 16 or 17, now I've seen 14 year olds. We had to really work
for merit badges, most instructors made us go far beyond the requirements
laid out in the merit badge book.
I think quite a few people got started on their career paths by earning
merit badges, since Scouts choose what interests them, aside from badges
required for rank advancement. It allows boys a chance to try out things
they might not otherwise do.
As for rank, in my case anyway, I had wanted to reach Eagle. When I was
tapped into Leadership Corps, I got much more involved in helping younger
scouts and found I enjoyed it. Instead of going after merit badges, I
focused on helping and teaching them.
I really enjoyed Scouting, I have a lot of good memories from the
experience.