[Vision2020] McCain Wants a Stimulus Rewrite

Tom Hansen thansen at moscow.com
Mon Jan 26 10:06:05 PST 2009

McCain is unhappy with the contents of the current stimulus bill and wants
it re-written.

Democrats' response: "Come up with another 97 electoral votes and we'll
get right on that."

Courtesy of Yahoo News at:

http://news.yahoo.com/s/politico/17911/print

McCain wants a stimulus rewrite
Erika Lovley

Sen. John McCain (R-Ariz.) told "Fox News Sunday" this morning that he
would not support the stimulus package as the House Democrats have written
it because it includes too much wasteful spending.

The stimulus currently includes $275 billion in tax cuts and doesn't
include Republican input or a spending timeline, McCain said.

"There should be an end point to all of this spending.say two years...The
plan was written by the Democratic majority in the House primarily. So
yeah, I think there has to be major rewrites, if we want to stimulate the
economy," McCain said. "I am opposed to most of provisions in the bill. As
it stands now. I would not support it."

McCain wouldn't say whether he would filibuster it.

"We need serious negotiations," he said. "We're losing sight of what the
stimulus is all about and that is job creation."

Sen. Charles Schumer (D-N.Y.), however, disagreed with McCain, saying he
expects a number of Republicans to support the $825 billion stimulus
package.

"I think you'll find large number of Republicans behind this," Schumer
said. "I regret Sen. McCain said he won't be voting for it."

Seeya round town, Moscow.

"For a lapsed Lutheran born-again Buddhist pan-Humanist Universalist
Unitarian Wiccan Agnostic like myself there's really no reason ever to go
to work."

- Roy Zimmerman