[Vision2020] responding to Nick re: forgiveness and immutability

Joe Campbell philosopher.joe at gmail.com
Sat Jan 24 18:14:01 PST 2009

Keely,

I haven't had time to finish reading the rest yet so forgive me if
I've missed something!

Your comment about blasphemy being an unforgivable sin seems a bit
ambiguous. If I say something blasphemous and later regret it (and I'm
honest about this) and ask for God's forgiveness will I be forgiven?
If it is unforgivable the answer should be "no" but in your response
to Nick the answer seems to be "yes" (which is the answer I like!).

And please don't hate process theology! I love it. Which is not to say
I accept it, or to say I don't. The fact is that of all religious
truths the one that is most obvious is that there is some considerable
distance between our beliefs and a true understanding of the Divine!

Like it or not many reject God's existence precisely because of the
problems raised for traditional theism, noted by Nick. Process thought
offers another option, other than atheism. And it is pretty cool to
boot!

But I agree with you that the problems are not as insurmountable as
they might first seem. So hopefully I'll have something to say about
this in the next few days, in response to Nick's thoughtful posts.

Joe Campbell