[Vision2020] Moscow Police Department Press Release

Tom Hansen thansen at moscow.com
Fri Jan 23 14:24:50 PST 2009

Thanks for posting this, Steph.

I personally think they ought to castrate the SOB very slowly with a dull,
rusty knife.

But that's just my "justice for all" attitude.

> MOSCOW POLICE DEPARTMENT
>
> 118 East 4th Street
>
> Moscow, Idaho 83843
>
> Tel: 208-882-COPS    Fax: 208-882-4020
>

> PRESS RELEASE
>

> January 23, 2009
>

> U.S. Attorney Tom Moss announced that William Edward Stevens, Jr. 52 of
> Melbourne, Florida pleaded guilty Wednesday, January 21, 2009 in Federal
> Court to the following charges:
>

> 1) Use of Interstate Facilities to Transmit Information about a Minor -
> 18 U.S.C. §2425
>
> 2) Conspiracy to Use a Minor to Distribute a Schedule IV Controlled
> Substance
>
>      18 U.S.C. §§ 841 (a) and (b)(2), 846 and  861 (a)(1) and (b)
>

> These Federal charges were the result of an Idaho Internet Crimes
> Against Children (I.C.A.C.) Task Force investigation initiated by the
> Moscow Police Department in March of 2008.  The ensuing investigation
> determined Stevens knowingly utilized the telephone number and
> electronic mail address of a 15 year old Moscow resident to entice,
> encourage, offer, and solicit the child to engage in sexual activity.
> During phone contact and electronic mail chats, Stevens encouraged the
> child to distribute Ambien, a Schedule IV controlled substance, to her
> mother of the child to facilitate the commission of the acts listed
> above without the knowledge of the mother.  Stevens has waived his
> rights and will be sentenced in mid-April.
>

> The Moscow Police Department wants to extend our appreciation to the
> Brevard County Sheriff's Office in Florida, the Lewiston F.B.I. Office,
> the Idaho I.C.A.C. Task Force, and Assistant United States Attorney
> James Peters.  The assistance and cooperation of all involved agencies
> was exemplar.  The diligent efforts of the conversant detectives,
> special agents, and prosecuting attorneys in this case brought to
> justice an aggressive sexual predator who had targeted a child in our
> community.
>

> The Idaho Internet Crimes Against Children (ICAC) Task Force is a
> statewide coalition of local, state and federal law enforcement and
> prosecution agencies, focused on apprehending and prosecuting
> individuals who use the Internet to criminally exploit children.
> Internet crimes against children are, primarily, crimes of sexual
> exploitation of children. These crimes include distribution of child
> pornography and using the Internet to target children for sexual abuse.
>

> Moscow Police Chief Daniel Weaver encourages citizens to help in the
> fight against child exploitation by reporting information they believe
> will be useful. You can report Internet crimes against children through
> the National CyberTipline at www.cybertipline.com
> <http://www.cybertipline.com/>  or by calling, toll free 1-800-843-5678.
>  The information you provide will be forwarded to the appropriate ICAC
> law enforcement agencies in Idaho or elsewhere in the United States.

> [...]

"For a lapsed Lutheran born-again Buddhist pan-Humanist Universalist
Unitarian Wiccan Agnostic like myself there's really no reason ever to go
to work."

- Roy Zimmerman