[Vision2020] PR - Citizen Sidewalk Maintenance

Tom Hansen thansen at moscow.com
Fri Jan 23 06:13:23 PST 2009

Courtesy of Chapter 42 of Title 11 of the Pullman, Washington City Code

"11.42.020  Removal of snow, ice, debris, dirt, or rock on public
sidewalks.  It is unlawful to permit any accumulation of snow, ice,
debris, dirt, or rock on public sidewalks.  Snow or ice must be removed
within eight hours of daylight after such snow or ice has fallen or
accumulated thereon.

 . .

11.42.050  Penalties.  An owner who fails, neglects, or refuses to remove
snow, ice, debris, dirt, or rock, or to strew sidewalks with ashes or
other substances as directed in this Chapter, or who violates any
provisions of this Chapter shall be deemed to have committed a civil
infraction and shall be fined in an amount not to exceed five hundred
dollars for each violation.  Each day in which a violation shall continue
shall be deemed a separate offense."

---------------------

Courtesy of Title 5, Chapter 9 (Removal of Snow and Ice) of the Moscow,
Idaho city code:

"Section 9-4. Notice

Upon a determination that a parcel of property within the City is in
violation of this Chapter, the City or the Chief of Policeshall cause
notice, in writing, to be served upon the owner, tenant or person in
control of said property, or to be posted upon property which is in
violation of this Chapter.

Said notice shall require the owner, tenant and/or the person in control
of said property, to abate said nuisance within twenty four (24) hours of
the time of service or posting of notice.

 . .

Section 9-6. Public Offense

D. Each violation of this Chapter shall be a misdemeanor. Any person(s)
convicted of a violation of this Chapter shall be fined pursuant to this
Code and the Idaho Code.

 . .

Chapter 9. Penalties

Sec. 9-1: Violation and Penalties
Sec. 9-2: License
Sec. 9-3: Application

Sec. 9-1. Violation and Penalties.

A violation of any section of this Code or of any section of any uniform
code adopted by the City by a person shall be a misdemeanor as defined by
the Idaho Code and any amendments thereto and shall subject such person up
to the maximum misdemeanor penalties in the Idaho Code, unless otherwise
provided by this Code or by the Idaho Code.

Sec. 9-2. License.

When a person is convicted of a violation of any section of this Code, any
license previously issued to such person by the City may be revoked by a
court of competent jurisdiction or by the Council.

Sec. 9-3. Application.

The penalty provided in this Chapter shall be applicable to every section
of this Code the same as though it were a part of each and every separate
section. Any person convicted of a violation of any section of this Code,
where any act or duty is prescribed or obligation imposed, or where any
act which is of a continuing nature is forbidden or declared to be
unlawful, shall be deemed guilty of a misdemeanor. A separate offense
shall be deemed committed upon each day such act, duty or obligation
remains unperformed or such act continues, unless otherwise specifically
provided in this Code."

Whereas Moscow requires 24 hours before taking any action, Pullman allows
itself to seek action after eight hours.

However, penalties do appear considerably more stringent in MOscow than in
Pullman; a misdemeanor (possible one-thousand dollar fine) in Moscow
versus an infraction (possible five-hundred dollar fine) in Pullman.

I suggest (for the umpteenth time) that you bring this before the Moscow
City Council (next meeting: February 2nd).  The Vision 2020 Listserve is
NOT empowered to adopt or amend the Moscow city code, ok?

> In Pullman it is only a $50 fine and is only considered an infraction. In
M> oscow the fine is higher, like $1000 in Boise, and it is a
misdemeanor.>

> In most cities in Idaho, though, you do not have to remove the snow from
> city owned property.
>
> Best Regards,

Donovan