[Vision2020] LEGISLATIVE NEWSLETTER II January 18-23/2009

ttrail at moscow.com ttrail at moscow.com
Thu Jan 22 20:52:00 PST 2009

LEGISLATIVE NEWSLETTER II   January 18-23/2009

Constituents:

The second week of the 60th Idaho Legislature has come to a close.  The
Revenue Projection committee's estimate of future state revenues came in
about $105 million lower than that of the Governor's projections.   I
thought the Governor's projections were reasonable.    If the Committee's
projections are accepted by JFAC this will mean deeper budget cuts than
already laid out in the Governor's budget.

 1.  Are there any extra pockets of money out there?   In tough economic
times everyone is looking for that extra dollar.   I work out daily at
the YMCA and had the chance to talk to an employee of the Idaho State Tax
Commission.   This individual reported to me that due to the cutbacks
that a number of part time tax auditors were released. These auditors go
after out of state businesses that are not headquartered in Idaho but do
business here.   Often these businesses have not paid Idaho taxes.  This
past year the part time auditors brought in $7 million and their salaries
and benefits were one million dollars or a positive gain of $6 million
for the state treasury.   So why did we get rid of personnel who are
recovering a positive cash flow for the state?  Good question.   Idaho
also loses about $3 million/year in federal highway funds because we do
not require motorcyclists to wear helmets  --  Pride before dollars it
would seem.  In just those two cases there could be about $10 million
that could help fund education and other important programs.

 2.  Obama Infrastructure Bailout Plan  --  First of all it is my
understanding that our Congressional Delegation will be voting against
the Bailout Plan; however, it is evident if the legislation passes that
Idaho will have almost $4 billion in "shovel ready" to go projects that
will be submitted for consideration.   Idaho counties and cities have
almost $2 billion ready in requests, and Governor Otter has many state
requests with the emphasis on transportation needs.  Shovel ready
projects are those that would be ready to start within a 9 month period.
These projects would obviously create additional jobs which are badly
needed to stimulate the economy.  In reality if Idaho receives $200-$300
million in these bailout funds we will probably be lucky. My guess is
that much of those funds will go toward highway projects.

 3.  Community Action Programs  --  I serve on the CAP Region II Board
headquartered in Lewiston.   Community Action Programs serve various
needs of low income citizens, i.e. food banks, weatherization programs,
energy assistance, etc. The demand for food from the food banks has
almost doubled this year and donations are down.   CAP helps low income
citizens weatherize about 400 homes a year in the region, and this may
double this year.  We understand that under the Obama bailout plan that
funds would be provided to winterize about 1,000,000 homes a year in the
U.S.   This would just about increase the number of homes to be
winterized in Region II to 2,000/year.
  Avista is providing about $300,000 a year in Energy and weatherization
assistance in N. Idaho.  Legislation will be introduced which would allow
Idaho Power to participate in the same type of program.   There would be
no mandate here, but simply legislation which would update the statutes
to allow Idaho Power to voluntarily participate in this type of program.

 4.   Medicaid Cuts  --  I've received many calls from families with
concerns over  Medicaid cuts.   These are in the area of mental health
and individuals with disabilities.   One example is the grandmother near
Potlatch who grandson is autistic and the amount of therapy reduced from
30 to 22 hours/ week.   These cuts may help the budget balancing, but may
be costly in the long term.   A number of experts indicate that reducing
the amount of therapy may actually cost the state more in the long run.
For example, if the mental health treatment for an adult is reduced it
may be insufficient to stabilize his/her condition.   These individuals
may end up in hospitals or even in some cases jail which would cost the
state more in the long run. I'm opposed to these types of cuts.

I appreciate hearing from you.  My legislative e mail is
ttrail at house.idaho.gov and
office phone #208-332-1184.

Representative Tom Trail