[Vision2020] PR - Citizen Sidewalk Maintenance

Saundra Lund sslund_2007 at verizon.net
Thu Jan 22 17:24:37 PST 2009

Donovan,

Quit beating a dead horse.  As I've pointed out before, the dangerous
sidewalks I've seen are NOT in front of residences owned by the elderly or
disabled, so I don't know why you keep trying to focus the discussion on
that.  There are, no doubt, exceptions, but the many elderly & disabled I
know are managing to keep their sidewalks cleared because they -- perhaps
more than the rest of us -- live with the knowledge each & every day that a
fall can be fatal for those with fragile health.

It's actually something to be proud of that our community has many silent
angels who routinely shovel sidewalks for their elderly or disabled
neighbors.  Matt has shared with us that he's one of those silent angels,
and I again offer my thanks to him - and to all those like him, and I know
quite a few - who are helping our elderly & disabled community members keep
their sidewalks safer for all of us!  Perhaps that's the reason requests
have gone down this winter as Matt share - people are doing a good job of
helping those who are genuinely unable to do the shoveling themselves.

No, those sidewalks aren't the problem . . . it's all the other uncleared
sidewalks that are a problem, so how about sticking to that issue?

As has been pointed out to you several times, our local ordinance requires
property owners to clear those sidewalks.  You don't seem to like that idea,
yet you also don't like the idea of the cost (read: increased taxes) of the
City getting rid of the ordinance and taking on the job itself.

So, what's your solution?  Just allowing life to continue only for the
hardiest of us during winter months?  Everyone else - including the elderly
& disabled you profess to care so much about - should just stay the heck
home so that no one has to shovel?

Part of living where it snows is shoveling or making other arrangements, for
Pete's sake, so instead of you telling everyone who expects us all to be
responsible community members to move to California, how about people just
living up to the responsibility of living where it snows!  Sheesh . . .

Saundra Lund

Moscow, ID

nothing.

~ Edmund Burke

***** Original material contained herein is Copyright 2008 through life plus
70 years, Saundra Lund.  Do not copy, forward, excerpt, or reproduce outside
author.*****