[Vision2020] Supreme Court to Hear Oregon Special Education Case

Tom Hansen thansen at moscow.com
Sat Jan 17 06:15:59 PST 2009

"Federal law calls for school districts to reimburse students or their
families for education costs when public schools do not have services that
address or fulfill the students’ needs."

Courtesy of today's (January 17, 2009) Spokesman Review.

Supreme Court to hear Oregon special ed case
Family sued district for cost of private school

PORTLAND – The U.S. Supreme Court will use a Forest Grove case to try
again to decide when taxpayers must foot the bill for private schooling
for special education students.

The Supreme Court heard a similar case from New York in 2007 but split 4-4.

On Friday, the court agreed to hear an appeal from the Forest Grove School
District, which was sued by the family of a former high school student
diagnosed with attention deficit hyperactivity disorder.

The school failed to address properly the student’s learning problems, the
parents said, and sought reimbursement for the student’s private schooling.

Federal law calls for school districts to reimburse students or their
families for education costs when public schools do not have services that
address or fulfill the students’ needs.

Under the Individuals with Disabilities Education Act, the nation’s
special education students are entitled to a “free and appropriate public
education.”

In its appeal to the Supreme Court, the school district says students
should at least give public special education programs a try before
seeking reimbursement for private school tuition.

“We just believe we have a comprehensive offering in our school district,”
said Jack Musser, Forest Grove superintendent. “We have programs in our
special education department to address every type of disability. We
educate many, many students.”

Paying for special education students’ private education would financially
strain the district, said school officials, who also added the teen’s
problem sprang at least in part from a marijuana habit. In court papers,
the student is identified only as T.A.

Mary Broadhurst, the family’s lawyer, declined to comment except to say
that arguments are set for April and a decision is expected in June.

“My clients are still of the position that this is a private matter to
some extent,” she said.

When the family took the district to court, an administrative judge ruled
in the family’s favor, saying the district failed to recognize the teen’s
poor performance as a disability and offer him proper services.

The judge ordered the Forest Grove district to pay legal fees and
reimburse the 19-year-old’s family for about $65,000 in tuition and fees
at Mt. Bachelor Academy, a Prineville boarding school for students with
learning problems.

The teen spent 18 months at the academy, graduated in 2004 and enrolled in
a community college.

School officials appealed the order to U.S. District Court, which ruled
the Forest Grove district was not liable for the fees. The family took the
case to the 9th U.S. Circuit Court of Appeals, which ruled in their favor.

Musser said the district has spent more than $100,000 on legal fees for
the case.

“Whether we are in tough economic times or not, we need to watch every
penny,” he said. “People having their choice of placing anywhere and
coming back to the district to seek payment is a very huge financial
impact on the school district.”

Seeya round town, Moscow.

"For a lapsed Lutheran born-again Buddhist pan-Humanist Universalist
Unitarian Wiccan Agnostic like myself there's really no reason ever to go
to work."

- Roy Zimmerman