[Vision2020] Papal Forgiveness

Campbell, Joseph josephc at wsu.edu
Fri Jan 16 16:20:01 PST 2009

Keely,

Three quick sets of comments.

First, I don't think that scripture is the only basis for religious
belief. Thus, I think it is fine if some Christians - Catholics, for
instance - base some of their beliefs on something other than scripture.
But you can't be serious that there is no scriptural basis for the
doctrine of transubstantiation. "And he took bread, gave thanks and
broke it, and gave it to them, saying, 'This is my body given for you;
do this in remembrance of me.'" (Luke 22:19) I don't see how you could
be more direct than to say "This (bread) is my body." Obviously you have
a different interpretation than the literal one adopted by some
Catholics and I have no desire to debate with you on this issue. For one
thing, I'm sure that you could kick my Christian butt when it comes to
the Text; for another, I don't believe the doctrine in the first place,
so I have little reason to defend it. But it is simply false to say that
there is NO textual support for the doctrine of transubstantiation.

Second, the issue here is not the truth or falsity of the doctrine of
transubstantiation. I agree with you and Chas on that issue. The real
issue is how we should approach discussions about disagreements of
fundamental beliefs - religious, moral, and philosophical beliefs. I
think that we should approach them with a more respectful tone than Chas
has been taking.

Third, I am in total agreement with you and Chas when it comes to social
issues and religious belief. The history of Christianity is filled with
atrocities. Chas has already given an "impressive" list. I wish that the
Catholic Church would take a more sympathetic view toward the issue of
abortion, that other Christian churches would re-examine their views
about women, etc. I have a lot to say about politics and religion and I
would love to see more thoughtful discussions on V2020 about these
issues. The main reason I've been so critical of Chas is that I think
that he's making genuine, helpful, thoughtful discussions less likely.
If we want to talk about these issue we need to adopt a more respectful
tone otherwise we're just preaching to the choir. No Christians - other
than you, Donovan, and I - are listening. Certainly the Catholics have
tuned him out. I don't see how you are going to begin to change a
Catholic's mind about abortion if you start the discussion by
mischaracterizing their beliefs in the way that Chas has. Who the heck
are we kidding here?

Best, Joe