[Vision2020] The War in Gaza: "Bombing 1.5 Million People in a Cage"

Sunil Ramalingam sunilramalingam at hotmail.com
Fri Jan 16 11:09:02 PST 2009

Nick,

I think I only disagree with you regarding the paragraph below:

'George W. Bush’s naïve ideas about democracy and pushing for elections when people are not ready for them has had disastrous results. Early elections in Iraq led to the rule of a corrupt Shiite majority and a deadly civil war. Both Israeli and Palestinian leaders wanted to postpone the 2006elections in which Hamas was the big winner, but Bush insisted that they go ahead.'

I think the election of Hamas has less to do with Palestinians not being ready and more to do with Sharon's deliberate police of isolating and castrating Arafat. It was quite clear that Arafat was powerless by the end and it's not surprising Fatah lost in Gaza.

Perhaps this is a simple-minded analysis on my part; Fatah has many other problems too, and has been described as corrupt.  Perhaps that too had much to do with Hamas' victory, along with the organizing Hamas has done in Gaza.

It seemed to me at the time that the Bush Administration was seeking a Fatah victory in the election,and it was certainly the wrong time to push ahead with an election if that in fact was the goal.  But I don't think the 'problem' was that the voters weren't ready.  I think they had a clear desire to replace Fatah with Hamas.

Sunil