[Vision2020] Aquifer rejuvenation (was: plowing)

Kenneth Marcy kmmos1 at verizon.net
Wed Jan 7 13:21:03 PST 2009

On Wednesday 07 January 2009 12:08:14 Bev Bafus wrote:
> Maybe I'm just obtuse, but I fail to see how taking the time to plow the
> snow BACK onto the main streets helps anything, except make tempers rise.

I don't know whether or not it's acute, but investigating how to turn our snow
abundance into an aquifer rejuvenation program (more than it already is) by
trucking the snow collected from the streets to a local injection point,
melting it, and pumping it back into the aquifer seems to me an activity
worth some consideration to determine its feasibility.

> Why not use the plow time to clear lanes that are still blocked?

Using plow time to collect snow into container vehicles that could be used to
transport, melt, and inject the resulting water into the local aquifer sounds
like a classic conservation and reuse program, if it could be implemented
with some operating costs and some, but not excessive, capital expenditures
over a reasonable number of equipment depreciation years.

Ken