[Vision2020] A second life for toppled trees

Ellen Roskovich gussie443 at hotmail.com
Wed Jan 7 12:32:42 PST 2009

When I was out over the weekend, I noticed that many of our beautiful old trees here in town have really suffered some severe damage with our recent harsh winter weather.  I'm sure many will have to be removed for safety reasons.

Perhaps not many homeowners realize that their beautiful shade tree is actually valuable and can be turned into usable lumber.  "Urban logging" is not something you hear about every day, but there is a growing number of these eco-conscious individuals who specialize in making sure trees recieve a second chance at being turned into a thing of beauty and not just automatically turned into firewood or chipped into mulch.

For more information on this subject, there is a link below to an article from the L.A. Times.   I do know there are local people out there with the knowledge and equipment available to assist anyone interested in giving a tree a chance.

Ellen A. Roskovich

From: rosecitylumber at live.comTo: gussie443 at hotmail.comSubject: FW: good pressDate: Wed, 7 Jan 2009 09:42:49 -0800

Date: Tue, 6 Jan 2009 19:03:21 -0800From: davesage at gmail.comTo: rosecitylumber at live.comSubject: good press-----------------A second life for toppled trees--------------------In Santa Barbara, Rob Bjorklund makes unique furniture out of 'awesome logs' that otherwise would be cut for firewood or buried in a landfill.By Steve ChawkinsJanuary 5 2009It's a sad truth of the urban landscape: Today's street tree is tomorrow's mulch.The complete article can be viewed at:http://www.latimes.com/news/local/la-me-localwood5-2009jan05,0,3589569.storyVisit latimes.com at http://www.latimes.com-- www.DaveSageDesign.com

Windows LiveTM: Keep your life in sync. Check it out.