[Vision2020] Legislative Update VII from Rep. Trail -- February 23-28

ttrail at moscow.com ttrail at moscow.com
Sat Feb 28 15:22:52 PST 2009

Constituents:

     The old saying that the economy is everything is certainly true
during this Legislative session.   We are still trying to learn all of
the details of the impact of the Obama Economic Stimulus Plan on the
Idaho State Budget.   For example, K-12 Education in Idaho will receive
about $247 million for the support of K-12 and post-secondary
education.   Of that amount about $202 million is directly aimed at
supporting K-12 and post-secondary education, and $45 million for public
safety and governmental services (which will be under the control of the
Governor).  The requirement is that the Governor makes the determination
of whether the allocation is sufficient to restore funding for public
schools and higher education in FY09, 10, and 11.  If the answer is yes
then the move would be to restore the funds and if not then to allocate
funding between public schools and higher education in proportion to
their shortfall of state support.

1.  Public Education  --  with the economic situation worsening (the loss
of 2,000 more jobs in the Treasure Valley with Micron) projections are
that there could be a shortfall of potentially $150 million in cuts in
FY11 in revenues are flat.   It appears that Legislative leadership wants
to spread the stimulus money out over the three fiscal years rather than
commit it all to FY09 and FY10.   This would also be utilizing some of
the "rainy" day funds to lessen the impact.

2.  The Stimulus Will Cost Idaho Some Funds  --  Sen. Brent Hill, Senate
Chair of the Senate Tax and Local Government Committee, indicates that
some of the tax breaks in the stimulus package will cost Idaho about $14
million in lost revenue. Hill notes that one idea is to raise the top
income tax rate by one-tenth of a percentage point.   This would raise
about $15 million.  Senator. Hill also notes by delaying the
implementation of the grocery credit we could gain another $15 million.

        As reported in previous newsletters, if the Idaho Legislature
really wanted to look at some financial opportunities we have identified
some opportunities:

       a) Review all of the 75 tax exemptions and if some are not
benefitting the state then eliminate the--the added revenue would flow
into the general revenue fund;

       b) Consider taxing internet sales (Idaho loses an estimated $60
million per year by not taxing internet sales);

       c) Reinstate Tax Commission auditors whose jobs were eliminated-
the cost of the auditors was $ 1 million and they were bringing in about
$6 million in  unpaid taxes  --  a $5 million gain for the state;

       d) Consider requiring motorcyclists to wear helmets (we lose about
$4 million/year from federal highway funds).

3.  Beer and Wine Taxes  --  This bill was defeated on a 13-5 vote in the
House Tax and Revenue Committee.   The estimated income of about $14
million would have been applied to drug rehab programs.   I believe that
another bill with a lower tax rate may be introduced later in the session.

4.  Good Economic News  --  The University of Idaho College of
Agriculture and Life Sciences indicates that the strongest component of
Idaho's economy is the agriculture sector.   It now represents about 20%
of the state's GNP and contributes about 17% of the jobs.  With the
exception of the dairy sector, agriculture experienced positive growth
both in 2007 and 2008.  Agricultural exports continue to increase, and
agricultural exports account for about 22,000 Idaho jobs. My report on
agriculture to the JFAC Committee can be found on my website:
http://www.infotrail.com/idaho/   click on the link labeled “Presentation
to JFAC”

 5.  Invasion of the Quaggas  --  Invasive mussels pose a huge threat to
Idaho waters.  Both Zebra and quagga mussels have moved into Lake Mead
and some western waters.  The mussels can rapidly spread, but have not
yet been detected in Idaho.   Preventing them from entering the state via
boats and trailers that have been in infested waters is critical since
there are no practical means to eradicate the invaders once they take
hold and multiple.  One quagga mussel can produce over one million eggs.
A report by the state estimates if the mussels enter  Idaho waters there
would be an estimated $94 million negative impact on the state's economy.

 6.  HB121--The Idaho House by a 70-0 vote approved a tax credit for the
Idaho Food Bank.   The Food bank’s role in the social safety net is to
provide emergency food for those who need it.   Statistics indicate that
Idaho is the 24th hungriest state in the country.

 7.  State Retiree Insurance  --  The House voted 59-11 for a plan to
push Medicare- eligible state government retirees off Idaho's insurance
and onto private plans to reduce costs.  People who retire early from the
state government would get a $155 premium subsidy to stay on the state's
plan, but they would switch to Medicare at age 65.

 That's all for this week!   Please send me your comments, suggestions,
etc.

My office phone is (208) 332-1184

Representative Tom Trail