[Vision2020] School Budget Cuts Sought for FY 2010

Tom Hansen thansen at moscow.com
Thu Feb 26 06:37:48 PST 2009

Courtesy of today's (February 26, 2009) Spokesman Review.

Panel leaders say Idaho schools cuts needed next year
Betsy Z. Russell / Staff writer

BOISE – The chairmen of Idaho’s House and Senate education committees –
both of whom are Coeur d’Alene Republicans – called Wednesday for cuts in
the state’s public schools budget next year to avoid potentially deeper
cuts a year later.

“We think a positive move forward would be to try to spread that out,
possibly looking at some cuts in the 2010 budget,” state Rep. Bob Nonini
told the Legislature’s joint budget committee.

State Sen. John Goedde said, “I would rather see small cuts in 2010 and
small cuts in 2011 than nothing in 2010 and potentially $150 million in
cuts in 2011 – $150 million is 10 percent of the school budget.”

The chairmen met Wednesday with legislative budget writers, who will set
budgets for all state agencies after they receive more information about
federal stimulus money and recommendations from Gov. Butch Otter on how to
use it.

Nonini said a $150 million shortfall for schools could occur in fiscal
year 2011 if revenues remain flat, and all the state’s stimulus money and
school reserve funds are spent to prop up this year’s and next year’s
school budgets. If revenues continue to fall, the 2011 shortfall could be
even higher, he said.

Both chairmen said they agree with Superintendent Tom Luna that through
any budget cuts, Idaho must try to maintain students’ contact time with
teachers. “The students don’t get a second chance – they’re moving through
the system,” Nonini said.

Luna was in Washington, D.C., on Wednesday to meet with federal officials,
including Vice President Joe Biden and Education Secretary Arne Duncan, to
get more information about the stimulus funding. He plans to report on the
results today.

Nonini and Goedde said the stimulus includes specific funding for a
student data system that Idaho needs, and they recommended taking
advantage of that funding. They also said the stimulus could help fund the
Idaho Education Network, a statewide effort to extend broadband
connections to schools.

Nonini also pointed to funding meant to avert tuition and fee increases at
state colleges and universities. “We need to do everything we can to make
sure that the universities aren’t raising fees to where we get to the
point of diminishing returns” and fewer students are able to attend, he
said.

Goedde said his committee reviewed $62 million in proposed budget cuts for
public schools that Luna outlined earlier – before the stimulus bill
passed – and had concerns about one, a plan to eliminate an early
retirement incentive for teachers to save $4 million. It might actually
cost the state up to $9 million, he said, when experienced teachers opt
not to retire and be replaced by lower-paid newer teachers.

Seeya in the bread lines, Moscow.

"What Teachers Make" by Taylor Mali
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wJlzYrXd1pw