[Vision2020] Humane interrogations work

Garrett Clevenger garrettmc at verizon.net
Wed Feb 25 17:30:37 PST 2009

g writes:

"The fact of the matter is that the majority of the prisoners are America hating jihadists plain and simple and the ridiculous notion that they are seeking revenge for a loved one is, once again, just an opportunity to cast America in an unfavorable light while making excuses for criminals."

While I won't argue that all, or even most, jihadists have personally lost a loved one, and I will agree that some, perhaps most, hate America because their preacher said to, it doesn't seem a stretch to assume some hate America b/c they've seen the carnage the US has wrought. I was simply trying to get people to see how, if you personally lost a loved one, you'd be upset, and possibly want revenge.

My point is to say that dropping bombs and killing innocents is going to be a recruiting tool, and some will want revenge whether they knew someone who died or not. That's no different than other countries (though now minimal) who initially supported the war of terror, and those people who fought to defeat "terrorists" who wanted to fight with the US, who did not know anyone personally who died on 9/11, but wanted to attack those who attacked the US.

I see no problem shining a light on American hypocrisy. In fact, it seems patriotic to speak out against policies that run counter to the values of our Constitution, and Christianity, the dominant religion in our country, are supposed to represent.

I don't understand how you can believe there are misguided people in other countries who want to kill us, but that somehow, all our leaders are completely righteous, or at least wise enough to always make the right decision. That there would be criminals in other countries, but not here.

I honor the sacrifice soldiers are willing to make in their thinking they are defending our country from threats, but that doesn't mean all soldiers always make the right decisions, or that our leaders always have those soldiers do the right thing. It seems to me, to support the troops, means more than just letting leaders use them any way they see fit. If you really want to support the troops, we need to insure that they are not misused and abused.

That means shining a light and holding our leaders accountable. If what is seen is bad, it needs to be changed to insure we aren't just feeding the flame of perpetual warfare. Remaining ignorant of that, and having such blind faith, leads to complacency which leads to our leaders thinking they can do whatever they want.

I'm not condoning terrorists acts. For the umpteenth time, they are rotten, but if you want to understand what may lead to more terrorists acts, it seems wise to limit those things which run counter to that goal. That includes stopping killing innocents. Period.

I still don't understand why that's so hard to except for some people, except that perhaps they are too stubborn or nationalistic to see that we are all humans, we all have the same emotions, we all (except Chas;) can do despicable things if we let fear and self-righteousness fuel our behavior, rather than seeing that our actions can have unintended consequences that we may come to regret.

gclev