[Vision2020] Offensive Cartoon (in my opinion)

Chasuk chasuk at gmail.com
Thu Feb 19 17:07:40 PST 2009

On Thu, Feb 19, 2009 at 12:02, Sue Hovey <suehovey at moscow.com> wrote:

> Perhaps it was we who taught you to generalize.

I've never understood the objection to the non-scientific use of
generalizations. When someone says, "I've been to Los Angeles millions
of times," no one objects, because it is intuitively understood to be
hyperbole.  One would think that generalizations would be similarly
understood.  it seems pointless (and sometimes disingenuous) to append
qualifiers to every statement when the context (and common sense)
should make the generalization obvious.  I also feel frustrated when
people say, "Well, that's just your opinion."  This is a "Duh!"
moment.  Of course it is my opinion.  If I were expressing someone
else's, I would attribute it to them.

Generalizations are bad when they are used to punish someone unjustly
-- and for a host of related reasons -- but they are also convenient.
If I said, "Men are taller than women," only the painfully literal
would believe that I meant that this was true 100% of the time.

My apologies, Sue, if it seems I am picking on you.  I'm not.  You
just happened to tweak one of my pet peeves.

Chas