[Vision2020] Vandals Beat Bozo State

Tom Hansen thansen at moscow.com
Thu Feb 19 05:25:59 PST 2009

Courtesy of today's (February 19, 2009) Spokesman Review.

UI wins at Boise
Sweep its first over Broncos since ’89-99

Marvin Jefferson’s putback with 4.3 seconds remaining gave Idaho a 56-54
victory over host Boise State Wednesday night, the Vandals’ second win of
the basketball season against the Broncos.

The win gave Idaho its first season sweep over the Broncos since the 1998-
99 season.

“I can’t tell you how fired up I am for our guys and our program,” Idaho
coach Don Verlin said. “To come down here and win after they (the Broncos)
just beat (No. 17) Utah State, and with the way they played in the first
half – unbelievable.”

Boise State started the game with a 15-2 run and the Vandals (12-13, 6-6
Western Athletic Conference) trailed 34-26 at halftime.

“This is the biggest win so far this season for this young Vandal team,”
said Verlin.

The Vandals came back to win the game with a 15-5 run in the final 9
minutes.

Anthony Thomas tied the score for the Broncos (17-8, 7-5) at 54 with two
free throws with 27 seconds to go. On the winning basket, Brandon Wiley’s
shot was blocked by Boise’s Mark Sanchez, but Jefferson got the loose ball
and scored his layup.

Paul Noonan missed a 3-point attempt for the Broncos as time ran out.

Mac Hopson had 18 points and Jefferson 15 points and six rebounds for
Idaho.

Seeya round town, Moscow.

UI '96

>From the north came a tribe brave and bold . . .