[Vision2020] Farming/ was Sen Schroeder

Donovan Arnold donovanjarnold2005 at yahoo.com
Wed Feb 18 18:35:11 PST 2009

Garrett,

You are confusing to me. If you want to produce jobs that don't use water, growing crops that use lots of water instead of very little seems like it will have an opposite effect.

If you believe we have a limited water supply, then the farms you are talking about will also be unsustainable.

 It makes more economical sense to grow the crops here that are easy to grow, sell them on the market, and then buy at the supermarket the crops we cannot grow cheaply or that would consume our limited supply of water.

I disagree that retail stores don't produce wealth. Retail stores are distribution centers. Distribution is a necessary step in the production and use of all services and goods. Retail stores not only allows people to find the goods and services they need, so they don't have to go to all the different states and China to get what they need, but it also eliminates waste by determining how many of an item is needed. This way we don't send too many pairs of jeans to Lewiston and not enough shoes to Moscow.

Second, these retail stores provide services that others need to run their businesses. Any hunting guide needs outdoor supplies. A restaurant needs food, plates, and other services. Businesses need paper, notebooks, and office supplies. All of these things are provided by retail services.

You ask what we don't have in Moscow. We actually have very little in terms of what is actually possible to have. And what we do have is limited in quantity and the price is higher as well. The fewer of an item you have, the more it costs, and the more it costs the less wealth you have to buy what you need.

Can you find these items in Moscow, Garrett?

A 2001 Viper
A inflatable bath pillow for $1 or less
A brand-new 42 inch 1080p Flatscreen television for under $650?
A Loon Lake by Scotty Coffee Cup
A 2 liter Diet Mountain Dew bottle for less than a $1?
How about a Spiderman reversible jacket with four pocket on the outside and one on the inside and a hoody?

I bet you cannot find those in Moscow, but can find in many of cities.

You also have to look at diversity. Your suggestion, that we all be farmers, is great if you are capable or good at farming. But there would be an awful lot of wasted talent if the only thing you had available was farming. Diversity of jobs is good. A diverse economy is good.

Best Regards,

Donovan